what is the white stuff floating in my wines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if I can post a picture just got an I-Phone and still learning how to use it, Lol. Bakervinyard

I know this is kind of off topic but I wanted to pass on my iPhone pic posting technique. I have a free Photobucket online account and the app on my phone so I can load them directly from my phone. Photo bucket will 'host' the pictures with a direct link you can then copy and add to your post by clicking on the little picture icon. I then go to my online account and add text to the pictures. I was using my regular camera, importing into Photoshop then resizing and adding text. Then uploading those to Photobucket for publishing. VERY time consuming.
Here is the thread I posted several pics on last night:

Pinot Blanc thread

I used Isinglass on this kit since it was supplied but after 4 weeks it didn't do the job, so I hit it with some Sparklolloid. I also filtered it using my AIO with a filter at bottling. Shines like the sun now.

E3A41AD1-DC59-4CA4-9EE4-05C33922A259.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did they say the thick film was?

The LHBS called it a "wine flower" Never heard of it before but it looks better and smells way better. Going to taste it Monday night and possibly bottle it also.

Lori, Thanks I'll try and see if I can do that. If not I'll ask my kids how to upload pictures to the forum. Lol, Bakervinyard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did they say the thick film was?

The LHBS called it a "wine flower" Never heard of it before but it looks better and smells way better. Going to taste it Monday night and possibly bottle it also.

Lori, Thanks I'll try and see if I can do that. If not I'll ask my kids how to upload pictures to the forum. Lol, Bakervinyard

Thanks. I have never heard of a wine flower either. I'll have to do some research on that.

Curiosity is the cure to boredom. But it also kills cats!

Wine flower is actually referred to as "flowers of wine" Google this and it should yield quite a few hits. but basically it is a bacterial contamination usually the result of not enough SO2 and a high Ph. it consumes the alcohol in the wine starting at the top and then descending. Racking from the bottom removes the film and hitting it with a double dose of SO2 should also help. Although you have racked the wine it can start again if SO2 not added and ph not adjusted. consume the wine early. it is not good for any period of aging.

Thanks, Salcoco I'll check the ph tomorrow and add some so2. Oh yeah, about the consuming it early not a problem in my house. Bakervinyard

Latest posts

Back