What is the longest secondary can stay unsanitized after its dry?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You add some when you start so i always wait to do it when im racking. i add the solution to the fresh carboy and then rack to it. and i always do it when there is not too much lees left too. So im bout a week in the primary then rack to secondary, then sit for about 4 weeks or so then rack again, then on my next rack i degas and add my k-meta. Different people have different routines, this seems to work good for me.

How long do you have before your first sulphite though? After it has finished fermenting and before you have degassed.

Probably depends on many factors, but I think you would be safe for a couple of weeks, possibly longer, but you are playing Russian roulette and why take the chance if you can do it sooner.

I have heard of plastic buckets, which have kmeta in them continuously, have their bottom fall out under the weight of several gallons of wine.
Brian, thanks, yes I am feeling much better, a check up in 3 months and hopefully that will be the end.
I use 2 plastic buckets for my corkador. The bottom bucket has about an inch of K Meta solution in it. The top bucket which fits into the bottom bucket, has holes drilled in the bottom. The fumes come thru the holes to sanitize corks, etc in the top bucket. So do you think I need a new system? This is so easy to use. :b

Brian, thanks, yes I am feeling much better, a check up in 3 months and hopefully that will be the end.
I use 2 plastic buckets for my corkador. The bottom bucket has about an inch of K Meta solution in it. The top bucket which fits into the bottom bucket, has holes drilled in the bottom. The fumes come thru the holes to sanitize corks, etc in the top bucket. So do you think I need a new system? This is so easy to use. :b

That's a good system for sure, I don't think you need to change anything.

Back