What do you think of this wine idea

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline1

Junior
Reaction score
I make my own wine jellies. Yup, jelly made from wine, not grape juice. Its something I enjoy doing & giving as gifts to friends. I always get great comments on it & folks asking for more.

Do you all think there's a market for such a thing? Would a winemaker store (like this one...) carry something like that? I'm not trying to sell anything (not now anyway) - I just want your opinions on it.

The best jellies are made from Chardonnays, White Zin, fruity stuff and even champagne! I haven't tried others but would be willing to do it. The alcohol is essentially gone because of the processing, so I don't think that's a problem either.

Would you be interested in something like that? Have you seen anything like it elsewhere?

Thanks!

I think it's a great idea!
smiley32.gif
I LOVE wine jelly! It's great on crackers when you're having a nosh with a bottle of wine. Yes, I think there's a market for it! Wine stores, farmers's markets, specialty shops, tourist shops...

Go for it!

How do you make wine jelly?????...recipe anyone????

We LOVE Jalapeño jelly and I made garlic jelly last year..it was pretty good too...but Jalapeño is what we mostly eat when we do jelly...It is so good on crackers and cream cheese...
smiley4.gif

Since it is made from wine, I would think sales would be governed by the Feds and the states. Before you go too far, I would check on that aspect, first.

I do think it is a great idea!

Wow, thanks for the encouragement. Anyone know how/where to check on such a thing?
Thanks again!

Check with the ATF?
Since they sell wine vinegar and cooking wine in the grocery, it can't be that hard. If there's no alcohol left when you're selling the product...
Check with your local wine store, they may know.Edited by: PolishWineP

Actually, depending on how you make the jelly, there is a chance you could have some residual alcohol left over. Here's the recipe I use:

Take a double boiler, and get a good amount of water in the bottom boiling briskly. Add to the top 2 cups of your chosen wine and 3 cups of sugar. Heat this mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved (about 3-4 minutes).Then remove the double boiler from the heat source, leaving the wine/sugar mixture over hot water. Immediately add 1/2 package of Certo liquid (1 pouch) and stir thoroughly. Pour into 4 sanitized 1 cup mason jars and seal.

Since the jelly isn't boiling, it packs all the flavor (and perhaps some of the whallop - who can tell with a little amount of jelly on toast?) of the wine. And it is DELICIOUS! I've tried Zinfandel, white strawberry merlot, and green apple riesling.

I'll add that all of the wine jelly I've seen at wineries, festivals, etc, don't have alcohol in them (it was boiled out in the process). Maybe I'm a bit partial (guilty as charged), but I prefer mine over the ones available for sale.

I do agree with George, though - even if you don't have alcohol in the final product, you should check with ATF. Why? Because of the name, if nothing else. It'd cause a lot less of a run-around to be upfront and contact them rather than have them show up someday, order you to stop sales, seize your inventory, and start an investigation.

we have a place about 4 hours away that does wine jelly! They've been very successful with it. I buy used bottles from them as they get cases and cases from local wineries that are unlabeled! I buy the bottles for about $5/case pre-washed :)

You can see their products here: http://caramoomel.com/

I think it's a fantastic idea for your area!

Thanks for all the responses, all. So far I haven't been able to get any info from the ATF/TTB, but I did email them. We'll see. I've seen a few places sell it, though not quite the same as I like to make it.
Its great on toast too! Or even in a simple sandwich. ;-)
That Caramoomel was interesting!

Thanks again everyone. Its nice to be here (and come out of lurkdom!)
smiley16.gif

Caroline:

Welcome to the forum......, the best one around in my opinion.

Perhaps while your chomping at the bit (as I would be) waiting for a government agency to move swifty (oxymoron) (or just wishfull thinking), perhaps you could question some of the people and establishments that sell this now, as to how they came aout making it and selling it. Even though it would be unfounded and 3rd hand information, it may give you a sense of direction in the mean time.

Good luck, and wating to see your label on the store shelf.Edited by: jobe05

Funky Fish said:
Actually, depending on how you make the jelly, there is a chance you could have some residual alcohol left over.  Here's the recipe I use:

Take a double boiler, and get a good amount of water in the bottom boiling briskly.  Add to the top 2 cups of your chosen wine and 3 cups of sugar.  Heat this mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved (about 3-4 minutes).  Then remove the double boiler from the heat source, leaving the wine/sugar mixture over hot water.  Immediately add 1/2 package of Certo liquid (1 pouch) and stir thoroughly.  Pour into 4 sanitized 1 cup mason jars and seal.

Since the jelly isn't boiling, it packs all the flavor (and perhaps some of the whallop - who can tell with a little amount of jelly on toast?) of the wine.  And it is DELICIOUS!  I've tried Zinfandel, white strawberry merlot, and green apple riesling.

Does it actually set up without boiling the c#@p out of it like you do with fruits and juices?????
Very interesting...got to try it....
I would like to try a heavy red wine like the Merlot you used....Gee 'Mad-Dog' might make good jelly...
smiley4.gif

Northern Winos said:
Does it actually set up without boiling the c#@p out of it like you do with fruits and juices?????
Very interesting...got to try it....
I would like to try a heavy red wine like the Merlot you used....Gee 'Mad-Dog' might make good jelly...
smiley4.gif
I'll be over to help with the lifting, toting, or whatever else it will take! Heck, I'll even bring some wine!
smiley36.gif

I think it's an awesome idea! I bought it all the time when I lived in Australia, but I have not seen it in the States. My mother in law makes jelly so I'm going to have her try to make me some. Does anyone else have any receipes besides the one posted here?

Yep - the Certo will cause it to jell quite nicely, and no need to boil the snot out of it.

FF,
Is the jelly hot enough to seal the canning jars properly for long term storage?

You may need to process(boil) the jars 5-10 minutes in a boiling water canner.( basically just a big pot- then make sure that a couple inches ofwater cover the jars.)Just to be safe!
smiley2.gif

Masta,

Pretty much what Ms. Spain said. I usually put a plastic lid on one jar and put it aside for immediate consumption, and then can the rest using a boiling water bath.

So in retrospect, you do have the chance to boil the jelly if you can it in a hot water bath.

Thanks for the info and I am sure this item will be added to Valley Brew's product list.
smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back