What do you guys think about this idea

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I currently keep all my carboys in a big cabinet I built. Not pretty but I built it thinking it would keep the temp from fluctuating very much in my cellar (crawl space). Only afterwards did I find out my cellar never fluctuates any significant amount.

I keep my eight carboys in there, empty and full. I have to move them around and it is not real easy and I bang them around sometimes no matter how careful I am.

So, I am thinking of building a platform to the left of it about 8 feet long and 3 feet wide. That way I can push all the full carboys back on it and when I need to work on it (mostly racking to a bottling bucket), I can pull a carboy forward and slide it down to my box where I bottle and do other things.

I was thinking of putting linoleum flooring on the floor of the platform and putting the carboys on carpet to easily slide them around. I have also thought of making a carpet "jacket" for those carboys for safety purposes.

Or, I could build carboy "crates" and put carpet under them so that they would slide good.

I don't want to go with casters but I could I guess.

Anyone have plans for a carboy crate? I googled and found a crate in this forum I like.
:a1
Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Olusteebus, I don't have a cabinet but I built a 2 level table for my bulk aging carboys. This table is in the old family room in the basement. I also built a cart appx. 18"w X 30"l with wheels and carpet on top to move the full carboys from the work area which has my laundry sink and a bench for my fermenting primarys. Works out pretty good for me. Bakervinyard

Iwould try to put the full carboy where it will need to be when you rack or bottle and not move it right before transfers.

Milk crates work great and can usually be found on craigslist. Also, using the all in one wine pump means no more moving/lifting carboys.

or you could get an all in one pump and you can rack and bottle without every moving the carboys

I use a pump (unfortunately not an all in one) to rack. I just cannot have all the full carboys close to where I bottle. So, I either have to move the carboy close to where I bottle or move a full bottle bucket (I don't bottle with a pump) close to where the carboy is at.

Latest posts

Back