What did I do wrong?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhprop1

Junior
Reaction score
First off, I'm a rookie wine maker. I've only made one batch so far and that won't be ready to be bottled for another 2 months or so.

My first batch seems to be doing fine. My second batch . . . not so much. I made it last Tuesday and it still hasn't started fermenting yet. Here's what I did:

3 gal fresh apple cider from the local orchard
3 lbs sugar
1 packet Champagne yeast

I thought it may have been a bad packet of yeast, so I added a second one and stirred it on Saturday. It still hasn't started fermenting yet. Any ideas on what I did wrong? Any ideas on how I can salvage this bucket of warm, extra sweet apple cider?

What is your SG at? Is it the same as when you started?

Did you add any sulfites?

I also started some apple cider over a week ago except I used cider that had preservatives. I added champagne yeast and did not see anything happen for several days unless I stirred the must. And after measuring the sg, I saw that it was fermenting albeit very slowly. It is only now beginning to bubble vigorously. I added yeast nutrient and energizer and put it near the fridge to stay a bit warmer and that seemed to do the trick.

First off, I'm a rookie wine maker. I've only made one batch so far and that won't be ready to be bottled for another 2 months or so.

My first batch seems to be doing fine. My second batch . . . not so much. I made it last Tuesday and it still hasn't started fermenting yet. Here's what I did:

3 gal fresh apple cider from the local orchard
3 lbs sugar
1 packet Champagne yeast

I thought it may have been a bad packet of yeast, so I added a second one and stirred it on Saturday. It still hasn't started fermenting yet. Any ideas on what I did wrong? Any ideas on how I can salvage this bucket of warm, extra sweet apple cider?

The first thing to consider is, did the cider have preservatives? This can inhibit fermentation, or stop it altogether.

You can also use a few tricks for stuck or slow starting fermentation.

Raise the temperature to 75 degrees. If you don't have a carboy heater, use a space heater that has thermostat control.

Make a yeast starter.
put a teaspoon of sugar in a sanitized quart jar along with about a cup of water. Add yeast. When fermentation begins, at a little of your must. When that starts good, add a cup of must. Keep doing this until the yeast is fermenting well on your must. Then whip a lot of oxygen in your remaining must, and add the starter.

Also, be sure and add yeast nutrient. This will do wonders for your yeast.

Another thing is to doublecheck your SG. If you don't have a hydrometer, it is a necessary purchase. If your sugar is too high, it can inhibit your must. Since apple cider is high in sugar, and you added 3lbs on top of that in a 3 gallon batch, this could be your problem.

What is your SG at? Is it the same as when you started?

Did you add any sulfites?

I haven't checked the SG since the first day. I'll check it today and see if there's any change.

No sulfites were added. I did add some pectic enzyme.

The first thing to consider is, did the cider have preservatives? This can inhibit fermentation, or stop it altogether.

No preservatives. I got it directly from the orchard and the ingredients on the bottles said "Apples".

Another thing is to doublecheck your SG. If you don't have a hydrometer, it is a necessary purchase. If your sugar is too high, it can inhibit your must. Since apple cider is high in sugar, and you added 3lbs on top of that in a 3 gallon batch, this could be your problem.

I kind of thought that might be what was going on. What specific changes in SG would indicate that this is the problem? Short of adding more cider, is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

:tzMost orchards add potassium sorbate at the time of press to increase shelf life. If sorbate is in the juice i would dump the batch.

:tzMost orchards add potassium sorbate at the time of press to increase shelf life. If sorbate is in the juice i would dump the batch.

Potassium sorbate will ruin the batch, huh. Nothing can be done to salvage it?

For those who asked earlier, starting SG was 1.087, SG at lunch today was 1.090. Is that a significant change for one week or is that considered insignificant and within the margin of operator error?

I would call the orchard to confirm .... it happened to me several years ago. I couldn't get it started even with an entire yeast cake from a homebrew. Many juices are labled "100% juice" ... but with chems. They must be rounding up.

Latest posts

Back