What can I use...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GerardVineyard

Reaction score
What can I use to sanatize my bottles before filling? I usually use k meta but I need to bottle 6 gallons this weekend and I'm out. Is there any type of household cleaner that I can use?

6 gallon bucket hot water and pot. meta. Bottle brush them out then drip mostly on a bottle tree. 8 bottles fit at a time.

Thanks Redboatny, I never thought about using the sanitize setting on the dishmachine. No dralarms, the closets supply store is 11/2 hours away.

The wine that is in there has been sitting for more than a year and I wanted to get it out so that I can start a new batch.

Have you considered making a diluted bleach solution? Day cares and moms make this up to sanitize toys, and surfaces.....Then run through dishwasher on hottest cycle. When my husband bottles beer, we wash bottles with that PBW (store upside down), put through dishwasher when ready and bottle. Never had a problem..

However when I bottle my wine, I use that vitners pump thing and put either meta solution or a solution of that sanicleanse, which is "foodsafe", pump into bootles 1-2 pumps, drain back into its reservoir and put on bottle rack. Do you have any of this? If I had neither of these on hand, I would do bleach and dishwasher above ....myself..good luck! I know the feeling of not having, in my case, a well stocked store or no store nearby.

One more side note.....before I bottle I add 1/4 tsp. of meta to the 5-6 gal. of wine itself! So......I am not sure how much is in your wine already, but I believe this is a standard "safety" practice before bottling wine. I would take this into consideration too. I have, mistakenly, bottled a batch of wine without adding and because I plan on drinking this wine within 2 years (from start to drinking it all) I don't anticipate having any issues and I haven't thus far with that particular one that is now 1 year old. ( of course meta was added to wine at one point during bulk aging, but not at bottling).

I actually think you will be fine if you do a good wash of your bottles with hot water. As long as they are not soiled and are clean and your wine is well protected with SO2 you really have nothing to worry about.

I pm him and also mentioned about campton tablets - he has 1 oz of sulfite

I know everyone had there own ways of doing things- I believe if he adds atlesst 1 tsp of sulfite and 1 tsp of citric acid, tartaric acid,or any suitable acid to drop the ph level. The sulfite will work efficiently. This is in reference to make a 1 gallon batch

I forgot
NO BLEACH !!!!!

I know of some old timers believe in it and they would rinse afterwards - but in this age - I would not suggest using bleach at this time

Sorry guys! we were talking about cleaning bottles right? bleach converts to salt, water and oxygen quickly (i also was referring to a diluted solution). The information below is straight from the Clorox website. Should you be in a situation sheer you need potable water....apparently there is a way to do that too! I certainly wasn't intending full strength use above to clean and disinfect bottles....at any rate, I know we all would prefer to use the Camden or metabisulphite to sanitize previously cleaned bottles.

To Clean and Disinfect: Mix 2 tsp of Clorox® Concentrated Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Soak pre-washed cups for 2 minutes. Drain and air dry. (This was in reference to sippy cups for toddlers)

What organisms does Clorox® Regular-Bleach1, concentrated kill?

Bacteria
Staphylococcus aureus (Staph)
Salmonella choleraesuis
Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Streptococcus pyogenes (Strep)
Escherichia coli O157:H7 (E. coli)
Shigella dysenteriae
Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)

Can Clorox® Regular-Bleach1, concentrated be used to disinfect water?

Yes. When boiling off water for 1 minute is not possible in an emergency situation, you can disinfect your drinking water with Clorox® Regular-Bleach1, concentrated as follows:
1. Remove suspended particles by filtering or letting particles settle to the bottom.
2. Pour off clear water into a clean container.
3. Add 6 drops of Clorox® Regular-Bleach1, concentrated (not scented or Clorox® Plus® bleaches) to one gallon of water (2 drops to 1 quart). For cloudy water, use 12 drops per gallon of water (3 drops to 1 quart).
4. Allow the treated water to stand for 30 minutes. Water should have a slight bleach odor. If not, repeat and wait another 15 minutes. The treated water can then be made palatable by pouring it between clean containers several times.

Bleach and winemaking are a bad idea. Cork taint sucks. My only issue with dishwasher is make sure your bottles are already clean and confirm what temp your dishwasher hits and for how long.

1 oz k-meta added to 1/2 gallon of water should be more than enough to sanitize the bottles. You simply recycle the sanitizing solution from clean bottle to clean bottle. Heck, I know people who even add k-meta sanitizing solution to their dishwasher for sanitizing their dishwasher and when sanitizing bottles.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back