what a mess

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onetoomany

Reaction score
got some apple cider and had nowhere to ferment it ..so tried to ferment it in a carboy..went to work and came home to a sticky mess.it foamed over everything..just a heads up..DONT TRY THIS AT HOME:slp well the 80% i have left went into a food grade bucket that i had to run out and over pay for.well live and learn

onetwomany, more like onetooshort. Always start off in a bucket or larger primary to allow for the must to expand and contain the foaming. As CO2 increases it will raise your cap or bubble up.

Try to keep it a little cooler if you have too much trouble. There are low foaming yeasts as well. It is a sick feeling when you look at your buckets/carboys and see stuff running down the outside.

It is a sick feeling when you look at your buckets/carboys and see stuff running down the outside.

The only sick feeling i get is when i realize im light-headed from using a straw to suck most of the spill up :)

My 3 Gallon carboy fits in my 6.7 gal fermenting bucket and I have put it in there when I'm worried about spill over.

I've also left more then a couple of full fermenters in the bath tub with the shower curtain closed. Then I just hose down the tub and covered bucket as needed with the shower head.

i made skeeter pee in the carboy and had no problems..but the apple cider is even hard to contain in the bucket:w..im thinking when its done maybe back sweeting with a cinnamon simple syrup..boiling 5 sticks of cinnamon in two cups of water and boil down till i end up with one cup of cinnamon tea then adding two cups of sugar..:a1

...i made skeeter pee in the carboy and had no problems..but the apple cider is even hard to contain in the bucket........

That's because Skeeter Pee has become tame, cultured, well-behaved, and sophisticated; it's got proper manners. It's not like that spoiled brat apple you're making which waits until you leave the house and then destroys it.
3873454023ee7891af03885bfe9b9b042a1839.gif

You wont believe I found many problem at the time of making apple cidar and the problem is with the the base but, soon after that when I prepared it for the second time I understand the whole problem and really didnt get any trouble in making it.

I also used a carboy for primary fermentation of my cider. It's in a 3 gal. carboy and I sat it down in a large fermenting bucket like Torch404 did. It was pretty obvious what was going to happen. But the bucket saved a huge mess. This was not my idea to start a primary in a carboy but more of an experiment. My sister and I are making a batch of hard cider from the apples we pressed. We wanted to use the same technique and ingredients except she is using honey and I used cane sugar. Her idea for primary fermentation in a carboy. She wouldn't budge on the issue so I conceded ;-)

That's because Skeeter Pee has become tame, cultured, well-behaved, and sophisticated; it's got proper manners. It's not like that spoiled brat apple you're making which waits until you leave the house and then destroys it.
3873454023ee7891af03885bfe9b9b042a1839.gif

Now that was funny! :)

Back