WELCHS GRAPE RECIPE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is actually what I thought. Good to know I am getting to the point of anticipating the answer!

And the clear/cloudy issue has passed. Went home during lunch and checked it - cloudy all over. Must have needed the yeast to get real active, since it was just pitched?

BTW - isn't my avatar cute?

Started a 5 gallon batch of welchs white grape last night! Can't wait to see how it turns out. I used the recipe from the 2nd post but only used 5 lbs of sugar to start with, good thing cause it was at 1.090 with the 5 lbs! Yeasted it this morning and can't wait to see it start bubbling. One quick question, at the end of the aging does anyone use a clearifier of these batches or should I just let it naturally clear through the racking process?

Clearing the wine is really your choice and depends on if you are in a hurry to get it to bottle or if you are willing to be patient and let the wine do its thing in its own time. You can always wait until about a month before you bottle and make the decision at that time.

Thanks VC. I kinda figured as much, I plan on being patient with this one since I just had a spare 5 gallon carboy that I wanted to use and really don't need it for anything else. I'll see how it goes.

smiley5.gif
Question, The welchs has been fermenting for about 5 days now, gone from 1.090 to 1.024 or so now. I planned on racking tonight to a 5 gallon carboy, is that ok? Then I will leave it for about a month before racking again and then planned to bulk age for a few months for clearing. Does this sound alright?

I would try and wait until the SG has dropped to the 1010 range, but if you need to rack early just keep an eye on it. The racking will stir up the yeast and they'll get very active, add to that a smaller air space and you'll need to watch out for spewing wine.

Got down to about 1.011 yesterday and racked to carboy last night. Had a little taste and was suprizingly good! Here's a few pics from the process!

That looks delicious! I would let it sit for at least 2 months. I know the lees can look nasty but they'll also add mouth feel and depth to the wine, my reason for covering it up and walking away. Out of sight ............

Sounds good, I planned on letting this sit for a while anyways. That way I can start a couple more kits in the mean time. I was planning on racking this one more time after a few months....is that nessesary or does it not make since? Also when will I need to degas and will I need to use a clearifier? Sorry for all the questions! I normally do kits and this is a bit different!

I would top it off and just let it sit until about 2 months or so until you bottle. Who knows it may just clear and degas on its own.

Going to put a batch of this together tonight. The only yeast I have is champagne yeast will that work?

Sure. Just really watch the SG and keep the alcohol level around 10% and you should be good to go.

Its together. What is the biggest reason for the 12HOUR wait to pitch the yeast? Being that I was waiting I made a yeast starter out of some consintrate water and yeast nutrient in a mason jar. I will wait 12 hours and pitch that. I quadrupled the recipe to make 4 gals. SG was 1.092 so I was pretty happy with that.

also decided to go grab a cotes de blanc instead of the champagne. I didnt want it to go as dry as the champagne would probably take it.

The reason for the wait is to give first the kmeta time to make sure you are starting with the yeast you actually want to work on your wine. When working with fruit wines I,ll add the kmeta in first, 12 hours later add the P/E and then the yeast 12 hours later.

The Kmeta? In the original post I did not see it call for any campden tabs or KMeta, I didnt add any at all. Its still early enough to do so, should I? How many? I have 4 gals of juice right now.

You'll be fine. On my meads I like them to get started fast so I'll mix up the starter a day or 2 in advance and add it right after I mix the rest together with no kmeta.
VC

OK So I will let it go for about 5 days and check it. Rack it and then stabalize in 30 days. Its been a while, how much K-Meta and Sorbate to stabalize?

Back