Welchs frozen concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sp33dymonk3y

Reaction score
How much is frozen Welchs concentrate at your walmart, Or other stores? I think walmart is the cheapest. I have to get 20 tomorrow and forgot how much they are each..

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

images

Yup so $40 on concentrate, and $6 on 10lb sugar bag. $50 with tax .

If you're looking to make other frozen concentrate wines, might I suggest Old Orchard brand.

I have made batches from their Blueberry/Pomegranate and their Cherry Pomegranate. My friends rave over the Blu/Pom. I haven't shared very much of the Cherry/Pom yet but thus far, it's in close contention for favorite out of all I've made.

Plus, I find they are generally cheaper. If you have a Meijer store nearby, they often put them on sale at 10 for $10 plus get the 11th one free AND Old Orchard has $1 off 4 printable coupons on their website. So like you could get 22 cans (perfect for a 5 gallon with 2 extra for back sweetening) for $15.

I actually have several cans in the freezer ATM.

What kind of recipe do you follow for the Blu/Pom?
If you don't mind my asking! But it sounds great. :p

Where do you get the blueberry Pom? And yes what is the recipe you follow if I mind not asking? I'm sure sugar and the concentrate and water is just really the main recipe haha

What kind of recipe do you follow for the Blu/Pom?
If you don't mind my asking! But it sounds great. :p

I took 2 different recipes I found online and combined them. I have horrible record keeping habits, so I had to try to remember exactly what I did.

(for 6 gal)

Ingredients

20 x 12 ounce cans of Blueberry and Pomegranate frozen concentrate. I use the Old Orchard brand (and an additional 2 for back sweetening)

3 teaspoon of Pectic Enzyme

9 cups granulated sugar ( I made a simple syrup out of it)

6 teaspoon Pectic Enzyme (probably overkill)

4 teaspoons of Citric Acid

6 teaspoon of Yeast Nutrient

2 teaspoon of Yeast Energizer

Water to make 6 gallon

One package of wine making yeast. I used Red Star Pasteur Red for this wine.

Add 1/4 tsp. Potassium Metabisulfite (stir)

Add 3 tsp. Potassium Sorbate (stir)

Additional sugar for back sweetening

Directions :

Dissolve sugar in boiling water to make simple syrup. Make sure that the sugar completely dissolved.

Remove the water/sugar mixture from heat, and add the frozen concentrate in primary. If you leave the concentrate out for an hour or so before hand, this step is much easier. Make sure it's good and mixed.

Pour the water/sugar/concentrate into your primary fermenter, and then add additional water until you've got a gallon.

Add the remaining ingredients except for the yeast. Stir it well. Using your hydrometer, take a specific gravity reading. Adjust to your liking. I started mine at 1.095.

Loosely cover with the primary lid or a cloth secured by a rubber band, and set your must aside for 12 hours

Rehydrate your yeast 15 mins, and add to the must. Sir gently and recover.

When the specific gravity gets under to 1.00 (usually about 5-7 days), rack the wine to cleaned and sanitized six gallon carboy.

Add 1/4 tsp. Potassium Metabisulfite (stir)

Add 3 tsp. Potassium Sorbate (stir)

Degas very thoroughly then add clearing agent of your choice. I prefer Sparkolloid currently. If using Sparkolloid follow packaging directions.

Wait at least 2 weeks, rack again and backsweeten with the extra 2 cans of remaining concentrate (thawed) and simple syrup to your desired sweetness.

If needed rack again after 14 days, bottle if clear. If it's not clear allow at least 7 days between rackings. Feel free to top up with thawed concentrate after stablization.

Allow to age in the bottle for at least 30 days if you can.

I think the only thing different with the cherry/pom was that I only used 2.5 tsp acid because it was pretty tart to begin with. Either way, it's a decent early drinker and very inexpensive, especially if you can find a sale/coupon combo.

Nice, the only froEn old orchard within 50 miles of me is old orchard grape juice frozen concentrate, is this about the same as Welchs? Or would you spend double money on Welchs?

Nice, the only froEn old orchard within 50 miles of me is old orchard grape juice frozen concentrate, is this about the same as Welchs? Or would you spend double money on Welchs?

I wouldn't drive that far. It's pretty much the same.

Ah should have been more specific I guess haha, I meant the only old orchard near me is the grape frozen concentrate, and theirs no other kinds of old orchard within 50 miles.. Theirs old orchard grape frozen concentrate right down the road, would you buy Welchs for $40 for 20 or old orchard $20 for 20?

As far as the concord, I would venture to say they are nearly identical and therefore interchangeable. Both are 100% concord grape juice. Just sub out Welch's for OO brand

Tow-May-Tow / Tow-Mah-Tow

I wounded how accurate the old orchard website is, finds juices near you. And theirs grape frozen concentrate 1.7 miles from me and another 29.9 miles from me. At harps.

Go to the customer service at your local store and you should be able to request a special order for other frozen concentrates. They won't mind at all if you are getting bulk because there is no risk of backstock. You may even get a discount for bulk ordering.

I have a really good(to me) recipe for using Old Orchard, etc. You take lemon juice and ferment it down to 1.020ish and then add some lime juice in. After it has hit dry .990ish, rack it into secondary and clear it. Once clear, stabilize it and rack it onto most anything. Some of my favorites have been blueberry/pomegranate, strawberry/kiwi and cranberry. It makes a fruit/lemon-lime type wine. ffemt128(Doug) gave me the original recipe).

thank you both for the recipes!
DJ, the lemon and lime sounds great! but I'm afraid I'm a bit too much of a newbie :) could I trouble you for some amount and a little bit more specific instructions?

thank you so much!

Back