Welch's Concentrate White Grape/Raspberry Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohp202

Junior
Reaction score
Starting gravity on Saturday of 1.09. The Cote des Blanc was pitched on Sunday. It had a gravity of 1.01 last night, Wednesday. Recipe said move it to the secondary when the gravity reached 1.02. I moved it to the secondary and fitted an airlock last night, Wednesday. Checked it before I went to bed last night and there didn't seem to be any activity, no bubbles. Checked it early this morning and still no bubbling through the air lock but it appears to be clearing. Same thing now, about 24 hours in the secondary. The top few inches appear to be returning to the original color while under that it is a salmon color that the whole thing was when I put it in the secondary. Temperature is about 60-62, if that makes any difference. Any reason to be concerned?

The alcohol level is just a tad low if it stops there, However it should still be pritty good. With a SG of 1.010 it should be just right as far as sweetness goes. What ever you do I would not add any sugar.

Check it with a hydrometer to see what the sg is now, visual signs are very misleading. Get those temps up higher especially when a fermentation is completing as this is when it is most vulnerable to getting a stuck fermentation.

gravity is just a tad below 1.00. I guess it's still doing something. I moved it to a warmer spot. Thank you.

When you have the same reading for a few days in a row then it is done as long as the temp is good, if it gets too cold then you can have a unfinished(stuck fermentation) and then you will either have to deal with the sweetness or do a very hard starter fermentation and yeast does not like to start off with a abv that high already as it shocks it.

OK.... I moved it from the out of the way spot where I had it and back to the kitchen cabinet. Wife will just have to deal with it. Should be about 70-72 degrees there.

Back