Welches Frozen Concord Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineNewbie

Reaction score
I decided to try something other than a kit, so I got the recipe on Jack Keller's site for Welches Frozen Grape Juice Concentrate.
I followed the directions which say to boil a quart of water and dissolve 1.25 Lbs. sugar in it. Add the 2 cans of Welches Concentrate, then add water toone gallon.

After doing this, I took a SG reading and it came out at 1.110. Way too high, right? I went ahead and finishedthe steps and added the yeast starter this morning, but I suspect I am going to have a very, very, sweet finished wine in the end. Not what I was hoping for. Is there anything elseI can do at this point?

I used Red Star Montrachetyeast, which I think has an alcohol tolerance of 13%. If my calculations are correct, I think this wine will finisharound 1.015 SG.

Is this going to be terrible? Should I just dump it and start over. I would only be out a few bucks worth of concentrate, yeast, and additives.

I wouldnt toss if I were you. At the worst you can use this for blending or topping up a future wine. Also although it may be to sweet for your taste, freinds or reletives may love it.

Pete

You can always add some more water and concentrate, but notmore sugar, to make it a 1.5 gallon batch.

I would buy two more cans of concentrate and create one more gallon of juice with a starting gravity of 1.070 in a separate container. However, I would add one can of concentrate at a time and measure the SG. If one can is less than 1.035, add the second can. If the two cans are less than 1.070, add sugar to bring it to 1.070. See winemaking.jackkeller.net/hydrom.asp to determine the amount of sugar to add. Add the other ingrediants per the instructions.
I would then pour this second gallon of 1.070 must into the fermenting must of 1.110. This should give you two gallons of blended 1.090 must (.110 + .070/2). This would yield an overall alcohol of around 12%. If you've completed primary fermentation, you can just ferment a second batch withan SG of 1.070 and blend the two batches post-fermentation.

Also, Keller's instructions warn that Welch's grape concentrate varies from batch to batch in terms of sugar content, so his recommended 1.25 lbs is not trustworthy. He recommends measuring SG after adding two cans but before adding any sugar to see if the full 1.25 lbs of sugar is necessary.Edited by: dfwwino

dfwwino, Thanks for the advice. Sorry for the lapse between responses. I had an emergency appendectomy a couple weeks ago and have been out of commission.

Since the orignal batch has completed fermentation, I think I'll try making another gallon with starting SG 1.070 (per your suggestion) and blend the two when both are finished. Who knows how it will end up tasting, but at worst I have 10 bottles for topping up future batches.

I guess I misread Keller's directions. Live and Learn.

Thanks again!

WineNewbie,

Did you check the SG on the original batch? Did you taste it?

I haven't tasted or checked the SG in the last couple weeks. I tested it about a week after I started it, and the SG was at 1.052. Still obviously fermenting away at that time.

I did take the airlock off and smell it a couple days ago. I can't really say it had a pleasant smell. Not bad or rotten, just not good. Kindasmelled like old grape juice, if that makes any sense
smiley1.gif
I'm going to test the SG this weekend and take a sip to see how it is. I'm hoping the fermentation didn't get stuck during my lack of attention over the past couple weeks. With the yeast I used (see above) it should have fermented to about 13% alcohol, if the the little beasties survived long enough. I can still see some bubbles climbing up the walls of the jug. Not sure if that is good or bad at this point.

I'll keep you posted.

I did some concord grape one time that was kool aid with a kick. Was clear and pretty wasnt hot but was 13.5%. It didnt last long either for gifts at the holidays.

I have made both Welches White Niagara and Welches Concord wines....I have a hard time following directions...

I added 1000 mil WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate to the Concord wine....don't know why...[guess I like to keep the wine supply stores in business]...I add that WinExpert Concentrates to almost all my wines....guess for body.....that wine goes fast...for 'everyday' table wine....have made a second batch of it already, did made it the same as the first batch.

The Niagara Wine I added the 1000 mil of WinExpert White Grape Concentrate and I used Old Orchard juice in the 64 oz bottles instead of water...it was made with all juices..no water....was trying to mimic wine made with all grape juice...it has good body and legs...it is a very nice white wine...a bit on the sweeter side...we like bone dry wines....it is like a store bought wine...next time I might oak it.

Next time I am just going to make the Concord using just the Welches juice and see how it is.......maybe?

Edited by: Northern Winos

Back