Welch Grape Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't add the K-meta (campden tablets) until fermentation has completely stopped. The k-meta can stun the yeast and then it will really slow down.

Don't add the K-meta (campden tablets) until fermentation has completely stopped. The k-meta can stun the yeast and then it will really slow down.

So since the sg wasnt as low as I wanted it, should I wait a couple more days before adding potassium sorbate, Kieselsol and Chitosan? Or should I just add them now?

Last edited:
I'm going to start this tomorrow! If I wanted to add oak chips to this, when would be the best time? Also, add bentonite or not?

Thanks!

Do not add the K-sorbate. That will stop all further yeast activity. Let the wine go on fermenting until it stops fermenting on its own. Just be sure to keep it under airlock at this point. K-sorbate is only needed if you want to back sweeten the wine and want to be sure that it does not start to ferment again. Kieselsol and Chitosan are used to clarify the wine. Let it go by itself for now.

Do not add the K-sorbate. That will stop all further yeast activity. Let the wine go on fermenting until it stops fermenting on its own. Just be sure to keep it under airlock at this point. K-sorbate is only needed if you want to back sweeten the wine and want to be sure that it does not start to ferment again. Kieselsol and Chitosan are used to clarify the wine. Let it go by itself for now.

Thanks rocky:b

So after my 15 days of fermenting I transferred it into another container. When I did it I saw very little/no bubbling. Now it's starting to bubble like it did when it was in its primary stage. Right now it is topped off so there's very little air in it. How come it's starting to bubble like crazy again? Not going to explode right?

The last SG reading was 1.030 so it has some more fermenting to do. It could have warmed somewhat increasing the fermentation activity. Keep it under airlock. It will be fine.

The last SG reading was 1.030 so it has some more fermenting to do. It could have warmed somewhat increasing the fermentation activity. Keep it under airlock. It will be fine.

Wl do, then check it in two weeks?

What's should the starting SG be? And what should I do if it's a little higher?

My starting SG is 1.100. Is that too high? If so, what can I do to fix that?

I used the frozen concentrate. I multiplied the recipe I posted by 5 to make 5 gallons.

Lol I just followed what I was told.... We will see :)

I looked at the frozen cans and it contains the same ingredients as the bottle juice did. Unless I looked at the wrong frozen ones..? Is there a difference that I didnt see??

Latest posts

Back