Weight/Volume Scale ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
I thought this was in here but could't find it. So I will ask for me and those who want to know but didn't ask.

Not all of us has a scale(weight). So is there a rough guess on this conversion?

For example, what is 2 pounds of sugar?(I heard 2 cups/roughly 1 pound)

What is 2# of raspberries, etc. etc.

I realize these weights are subject to change based on various factors, but some of us newbies don't have access to a scale (weight). Some of us don't do metrics.

I recently seen a recipe that called for 5# of (fruit), in my case, raspberries. How many cups roughly? I realize, our hobby and addiction is not an exact science. It seems however, easier, if we could talk about recipes, and other ingredients in terms of cups, liquid ounces, etc. At least we could come up with something close.

Not just in here, but many recipes speak in terms of imperial gallons and other metric equivelants. Some members may not be able to do the conversions easily. But even outside of metric measurements, what does a pound of raspberries weigh, roughly?

One more example, if I may, came from the internet. It called for 16 oz. of Rasberries, was that 4 cups, or 1 pound? I realize the weight of the fruit may not be as critical as that of "chemicals", but it would be nice to know there would be a way that we could all just get along. A misjudgement or misreading on some of the additives(chemicals) could mean the difference between making a fine finished product and having to come in here and ask what happened. I was hoping we could come up with a "poor hillbillies" measuring thang. LOL. Any thoughts?

Sure not trying to say anything bad about the metric system, makes alot of sense to me, just wishin there was an easier way to convert it.

Cheers,
Troy
:b

Last edited:
Do you have second hand shops in alaska Troy? Even a local church shop?

My suggestion would be to pick up secondhand scales cheap from one of those places.. or even put a note on the church noticeboard saying you are looking for a set of scales, if someone has a set in their cupboard that they are not using.

Allie

Yeah, I sure do need one. All the ones I seen are pretty spendy, I looked at the "cook" shop to find one like they use in restaurants and even those were like 70 skins. My eyes are definitely open for one, just a matter of time I quess.

I paid $10 NZD ( about $5 USD?) for mine in a church shop.. Just put the word out and you'll probably get one given to you for nothing.

Allie

Yeah, I sure do need one. All the ones I seen are pretty spendy, I looked at the "cook" shop to find one like they use in restaurants and even those were like 70 skins. My eyes are definitely open for one, just a matter of time I quess.

I think I paid $20 on EBAY.
Try them under "postal scale"

Not sure what a postal scale is..

my scales are plastic the 'soehnle' brand and weigh up to 5 kilograms/11lbs and they have both imperial and metric weights written on them.

Allie

a scale really is best. 1 cup of corn sugar might = a pound, but 1 cup of something else will be more, or less weight. When you need weight, density matters and thus volume measurements can only be approximations unless you are working with known values and substances.

Honey is heavier than sugar which is heavy than flour per a given volume.

For sugar, I opened a fresh 4# bag of the sugar I use (C&H Granualted) and checked how many cups it gave me. It worked out to 2 rounded cups per pound.

I found some rough volume/weight charts for fruit/nuts with google.

Just a thought...

What about a cheap hanging scale (like used to weigh fish). Attach a basket, either set it to zero or subtract the weight of the basket, and use that. There's got to be plenty of inexpensive scales like that up there. Even if it's not the most accurate, it should be good enough to measure the weight of fruit at least.

Another thought would be to make a cheap counterbalance system, two baskets hanging on either end of a rod, or even a tree branch. Just take a bunch of stones to your post office and scam them into weighing them for you. Once you know the weight of the stones (or whatever), you can then weigh anything that will fit in the basket (or pail, or anything else that will hold some kind of volume).

I'm on a roll tonight...or something...:d

Peace,
Bob

Latest posts

Back