WineXpert WE Selection White Merlot Ummmm Good!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhaynes

Reaction score
My wife and I just had an amazing bottle of wine tonight at our favorite Japanese restaurant which happens to allow BYOB. It was a WE Selection White Merlot kit that we started 2 years ago. We bulk aged it for 14 months and bottled last May. I had high expectations for this wine and frankly was a little disappointed with the taste at the time we were bottling. It was okay just not as good as I expected. We even back sweetened it a little to 1.004 which seemed to help a little. We have sampled a bottle or two since then with mediocre results. But tonight I was blown away by how good it has become. It is now almost exactly two years since we stabilized and cleared it. I would expect a big red to improve a lot after the first year but I was surprised by this big of an improvement in a white/rose wine. Anybody else had this experience? Our cellar is starting to get built up now to the point that a lot of our wine is now 2-3 years old. I've been surprised with how much difference it makes with all of them.

Mine came with an F-pack and at almost a year old is very drinkable. So much so that I made a second batch in January... but alas there are no more kits of this variety available in the UK now.

Latest posts

Back