WineXpert WE Selection Kit Clearing Problems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim M

Reaction score
I added stabilizers and clearing agents (two part Kielsol and Chitosan) to a WE Selection Gewurtztraminer last week. I followed the directions and resisted the urge to rack it off the sediment. This was also the first time that I used the drill mounted Mix-Stir, (can you say volcano?) I am sure that this batch was degassed much more thoroughly that any kit that I had previously done with the hand stirrer. The temps range from 72°F during the day to 68°F at night.

After 6 days, the heavy sediment has fallen but the wine is very cloudy even at the top. Most of my previous kits had cleared within a few days. Will it clear if I leave it in the carboy for a long enough time?

Thanks - Jim

You would sure believe with that combo it would be crystal clear by now. I believe NW had this same issue once, hit it with Isinglass and it cleared right up, almost as if the Chitosan was defective somehow.

Since this is a Selection kit, you will need to rack it once after adding the clarifiers before making a decision. These kits can take 2-4 weeks to clear. If it is not clear 2 weeks after the second racking, add some SuperKleer.

Thank you George. So, the SuperKleer will work if the wine is racked off of the sediment?

I guess I will go into patience mode for a few weeks.

SuperKleer does not require the sediment to work. Patience is a good thing with wine making.

There are no instructions for Patience. lol

And it is the hardest part of the process.
smiley2.gif

geocorn said:
SuperKleer does not require the sediment to work. Patience is a good thing with wine making.

I guess the only reason that I ask is because it seems that SuperKleer contains the same ingredients as the two packets that came with my kit - chitosan and kielselsol.

Jim

Unless Winexpert has changed their fining agents, their white wines use isinglass and the reds use Chitosan. Are you sure this was a WE kit and not an RJ? RJ uses the SuperKleercombination.

I made a batch of Gewurztraminer about 3months ago. It is now aging nicely. However it did take about 4 weeks to clear!

I found that with white wines, it appears to take longer to clear. I could watch them and each day the clear area went lower down in the carboy, slowly but surely.

Like everyone else said, just give it more time...

I have not noticed whites taking longer to clear myself although Ive only done 2 W.E. whites, 1 RJS white, and 1 MM Riesling. Maybe its because you can see through it much better.

I HAVE TWO WINES CLEARING NOW, FIRST BATCHS

RED CABERNET SAUVINON 2 WEEKS CLEARING
WHITE LEIBRAMILCH? 1 WEEK CLEARING

I HAVENT NOTICED ANY. BOTH LOOK GOOD IN A GLASS. HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THEY HAVE CLEARD?

After about 3 weeks I draw a small glass of wine and hold it up to a good light. You can then observe how clear it is

Wade, I have the WE SE Limited Australian Riesling in the primary. How did your Reisling turn out? This, obviously will be my first one.

This patience thing is tough.

George - you may have hit on something. I added stabilizers and clearing agents to two wines on the same evening. The WE Gewurtz and an RJS Chocolate Orange Port.

The port definitely contained both Chitosan and Kielsol, and the sediments dropped like a rock. The Gewurtz may have only been chitosan which may explain the slowness.

(Note to self: patience, patience patience!)

Latest posts

Back