Wine not clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edsey

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I added Chitosan and kieselsol to my kit in August and then had to evacuate due to the forest fires. When I returned 5 weeks later the wine was clear and I racked the wine. After sitting for a few days the wine was still cloudy., I think it was because the wine sat too long with the K and C in it. I racked it again a week later at it had not and still has not cleared up. Can I try K and C again or maybe try Benntonite ?

Let's make sure we understand the situation -- you added K&C, the wine sat for 5 weeks, you racked it and it was clear. A few days later it clouded up?

I agree with @salcoco that you can hit it with K&C again, but let's make sure there's not something else involved.

I assume the wine fermented out, e.g., SG is 0.998 or less?

Let's make sure we understand the situation -- you added K&C, the wine sat for 5 weeks, you racked it and it was clear. A few days later it clouded up?

I agree with @salcoco that you can hit it with K&C again, but let's make sure there's not something else involved.

I assume the wine fermented out, e.g., SG is 0.998 or less?

Thank you, very good point. It was a bit hectic when I evacuated. I checked the log and the sp was .998 when I added the K and C. The sp is now at .996. I think I will give it another month or so and then try the K and C again . Thanks for your help.

Add a second dose K & wait 48 hrs. If it's clear, skip the C.
I've had this issue and the C caused the clouding. I know it sounds illogical but it happened to me twice in separate batches of white wine.
Salute! 🍷 🥂

Latest posts

Back