WineXpert WE Sel. Original Cab Sauv - degassing at step 3

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bostaevski

Junior
Reaction score
Ok I have searched the internet and these forums, read the whole 'degassing' thread that is currently active but I must be an idiot that can't absorb the information I want
smiley5.gif

I'm a step 3: Stabilizing and Clearing
It says to add the k-meta and sorbate and then stir vigorously for 2 minutes. Ok i stirred and stirred for basically ever with the mix-stir and my drill. It foamed up good each time (not as much the last few times). Then I switched over to the vinu-vac which George sent in my deluxe kit. I am pulling alot of [bigger] bubbles using this. The mix-stir just made a foamy head like you'd expect from a pink Guinness.

Anyway I did the mix-stir for probably 10 minutes total and have been going back to pump up the vinu-vac (glass carboy -> bung -> plastic 2-chamber airlock -> vinuvac) every 5 or 10 minutes for the last hour.

How long will this go on? Do I perform this step until I get no more bubbles? The instructions in the kit just say stir by hand for 2 minutes so i feel like what I'm doing is overkill.

I guess the nice thing is I've downed a whole bottle of wine during this phase. Somehow I doubt I'm blazing any trails in this regard
smiley1.gif

Oh I should clarify I haven't even added the chitosan which calls for another 60 seconds of vigorous stirring.

When you say the Vacu-vin only pulls up large bubbles you hit the nail on the head. That is an indication that it is probably adequately degassed. If it wasn't, you get a lot of tiny bubbles. When it switches over tolarge bubbles, it is effectively done.

Latest posts

Back