WineXpert WE Riesling not clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Port

Reaction score
I started a WE Riesling kit on 12/18, followed the directions exactly. I checked the OG and it was 1.080, after 6 days I checked it again and was 1.030 so I racked it to secondary. After 7 days the SG. was .992 , checked it again the next day to confirm fermentation had completed. I then added the packets per directions. I was sure to mix the lees into everything as the directions said and stirred for 2 minutes, added the clearing agent and stirred another 2 minutes. What I hadn’t read in the “notes” section of the instructions was that it may take more then 2 minutes of stirring to degas the wine, so I had a total of 4 minutes stirring. Now, according to directions it supposed to be ready to bottle tomorrow, it’s not clear. I have seen plenty of pictures of the wine you guys are making here, I have a couple of fruit wines that are crystal clear now also, so I have an idea of what to expect. I was thinking of racking again and waiting it out but from what I have read here, these kit wines are supposed to be pretty fool proof; I would expect it to be clear as the directions said it would be. What should I do??<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Few questions I need to ask to help you:
<UL>
<LI>What kit is it exactly...Selection or Vintners Reserve? </LI>
<LI>How long has it been since you added fining agents and degassed?</LI>
<LI>Did you use a drill mounted stirrer or by hand?</LI>
<LI>What was the room temperaturewhen you degassed?</LI>[/list]

It's a Vintners Reserve.

Tomorrow will be the 14 days specified to wait for it to clear before bottling. I wasn't planning on bottling, but I thought it would be clear by now if they say you can bottle.....

Stirred by hand, I am sure I didnt' get all the gas out because I only stirred for a total of 4 minutes per the instructions.

Room temp was between 70* &amp; 75*.

The most likely issue is not degassing enough when stirring by hand. I have never made a kit without using a drill powered stirrer so I have never ran into this problem.

Did the solids drop out at all? Can you post a picture?

I have never seen the fining agent not work in the 130+ kits that I have done.

I would invest in a drill mounted stirrer since it will eliminate many issues when making wine from kits.

http://www.finevinewines.com/Stirring-Your-Wine-Kit.htmEdited by: masta

It looks to have cleared some. I will post a picture when I get home tonight. I read somewhere that the remaining CO2 will keep some of the solids in suspension? If that's the case, can I just degass again?

Yes you can..... and the solids will fall out again after a few weeks. This is the best option since it will eliminate the potential of having a clear wine but with gas....best to take care of it now.

I like to use a timetable of minimum 3 weeks settling for whites after fining before bottling.

You are correct that CO2 will keep fine particles hanging up, and you can
degas again. With the recent addition of the k-meta your SO2 level should
still be high. Assuming you still have a lot of head space (didn't top up),
keep stirring. Masta's recommendation to get a Fizz-X is the best advice.
There will be a settling period afterward, so get ready to exercise
patience.
smiley5.gif

Check the wine temp to see if it matches room temp. 75 degrees would
be great.

Thanks for the info fellas. One of the most important things I have learned so far is patience! Rather have clear, still wine in a few months then cloudy, gassy wine tomorrow. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Hi all on this thread,

I have exactly the same problem with my VR Australian Riverland Reserve. I have had no problems with kits clearing after fining and I've done about 8 kits now and have always used the stir and stir by hand method. So I will degas again and let it settle out and see what happens. I thought it was kind of strange that it happened since the others went perfectly. I kept reading my notes and the instructions but I did it to the T. Thought I lost it somewhere along the line...

Ramona

Temp about 70-75 degrees

rgecaprock said:
Hi all on this thread,

I P]

Ramona

Temp about 70-75 degrees

Like the sound of the 70-75* weather.....we are having a balmy winter in Northern Minnesota....way above average temps....like 20's*F to 30+*F...It melts during the days and freezes at night.
Would be good temps to cold stabilize wines.
smiley2.gif

HI everyone,

In regards to my post on this thread on 1/13/06. I degassed my VR Australian Riverland Reserve a second time on 1/13 and racked it again this Saturday. Some additional sediment did settle out but it is still not crystal clear as all the other kits have been. What is the next step in this process of trying to get it to clear. First time I have had this problem with clearing a kit. Kind of frustrated with it.

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

Back