WineXpert WE Mezza Luna Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantLee63

Reaction score
Yesterday I made my 2nd kit in 9 days - a WE Mezza Luna White. It's fermenting along nicely in the bucket here as I type this. My research indicated that this one is ready to drink rather early (3-6 months after bottling)so I thought this would be a good one to drink while my MM Riesling continues to bulk-age.

I also ordered an Exotic Fruits White Zinfandel Island Mist kit from George a few days ago and should be receiving it shortly, and am thinking about kegging that one. I know my wife an daughters will like it, and as you know, that kit is ready to drink immediately upon bottling - or kegging in this case.

QUESTION: The directions that came with my MM Riesling said to splash the wine when transferring to the secondary and this one does not say to do that. It doesn't say NOT to do that, but I'm wondering if I should? It also indicates that the SG should be 1.010 or less, where the MM instructions said 1.040 to 1.045. Interesting how different manufactuers of kits have different instructions / protocols for their products.

Thanks - GL63

That is just the difference in instructions between manufacturers. I have always gave it a little splash. Helps rejuvenate the yeasts a bit to finish fermentation by giving them a little O2.

In regards to the SG, I actually believe they give those numbers to let you know more what is probably will be at that particular time frame and not what it has to be. It doesn't really matter at that point what it actually is.

I appreciate the response smurfe. I always thought that after the first 3-5 days, you want to avoid aerating your must / wine because of oxidation concerns. Obviously that is not necessarily the case.

Again, I appreciate the feedback.

- GL63

Just be careful and leave some room in carboy when racking per instructions as it can make the wine start fermenting rapidly and go up in your airlock so maybe rack some into a smaller jug when it hits 1.040.

Will do wade ....... I checked the SG this morning and it was 1.030 so I will probably be racking it tomorrow morning. I have a LOT of 6 1/2 gallon carboys so will probably be using one of those - there will be plenty of room in it for any foaming and also for the addition of the F Pack.

- GL63

Latest posts

Back