WineXpert WE Chilean Merlot - Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litetrek

Junior
Reaction score
I am working on the kit mentioned in the title. It is currently bulk aging. I pitched the yeast back on April 15 2014. My plan is to age this at least a year before bottling. SG measured before and after worked out to about a 13% alcohol content.

I basically followed the directions very closely. I added the extra sulfite pack that came with the kit for aging in the bottle up to 2 years. The only mistake I made was adding a little too much water (700 to 900 ml too much )for the primary fermentation. I've always topped up when I needed it with a similar wine instead of water hoping to reduce the impact of my mistake....

Anyhow I have a couple of questions. The WE kit doesn't have bulk aging instructions but I have my wine in a 6 gallon glass carboy and initially stoppered it with cork (for aging only) as instructed by the guy at the wine store. It's now stoppered with an airlock.

1) after a few months my wine developed a bit of an unpleasant odor. If you stick your nose down into a glass of beer it's the same smell. It was definitely not rotten egg smell. When I poured a glass and let it sit for 20 minutes the odor dissipated greatly.

So, I decided to try vacuum degassing just to see what would happen. By doing the vacuum degassing I eliminated the odor. I rigged up my wife's food vacuum sealer and it worked very well. My theory is that the odor was from the extra added sulfite pack (per kit instructions) which was not permitted to off gas due to using the cork instead of using an airlock. So, first I'm wondering what others think of this theory. If you have any other ideas about the source of the off smell please tell me.

2) I'm bulk aging one year,then bottling and expect it will take me a few years to drink my product after its bottled. I could use some recommendations about how much more sulfate to add at bottling time.

Thanks for your comments.

Your max shelf life may be three years. I've only been making wine for just under two years but from what I've read the 2-3 year interval is the kit wine sweet spot. I'm not sure but perhaps adding cellaring tannins may increase your wine's lifespan. Perhaps those with more experience will chime in.

BC

Thanks for the comments. I reread my post and decided I didn't make my second question clear enough but here's another way of looking at it. The kit has me bottling in about 6 or eight weeks if I remember correctly. The instructions say if you want to keep your wine up to two years (instead of drinking 6 gallons immediately I guess), add the extra sulfite pack (I did this) to extend the shelf life to 2 years.

So, I'll be aging in the carboy for a year leaving only about a year of remaining shelf life after bottling. My second question was about how much extra sulfite to add at bottling time to get to two years in the bottle which would be three years total.

I think the two replies I've received so far got my meaning but i thought it might help anyone else who wants to reply to write my second question differently

No comments yet on my first question. I really want to learn about what may have caused the odd odor. Also, I would appreciate additional opinions about about my second question. Please help me out. This is my first kit and I bought a relatively expensive one. I don't want my product to spoil in the bottle because I didn't add enough sulfite to get two years of shelf life. I estimate that based on what the kit calls for I'll only get one year of shelf life if I dont add some additional sulfite.

Last edited:
Remember, if you force the SO gas out of the wine, it won't be left to bind to the oxygen to prevent early oxygenation. My guess is that you smelled some SO plus a green wine, the two are not unpleasant, but not welcoming either.

And, YES, solid corks do not belong on a wine that has not sat a long time.

Thanks DoctorCad. What you mentioned is what I am a little worried about. The odor was pretty overwhelming (and bad) for what, according to the kit instructions, was months past "ready to enjoy".

I believe the smell was a result of the cork and the poor advice from the guy (owner) at the winemaking supply store near me. it wasn't until after I did it that I recognized that the smell was just like sulfite when I put it in. I'm not sure what to do about it now though. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them.

The problem you likely have now is not knowing how much free SO2 you still have in your wine. The safe thing would be to add some more, but then you may add too much. Best solution is to test it but that could be expensive.

Regarding the "ready to enjoy" comment, I expect that will vary greatly from person to person. My perspective on this is that they forget to add a zero on the end when they tell you things like "try to let it age for at least 2-3 months". What really seems to be required is "20-30 months". All my big red kits are at or approaching a year and all of them are still what I would consider undrinkable.

The problem you likely have now is not knowing how much free SO2 you still have in your wine. The safe thing would be to add some more, but then you may add too much. Best solution is to test it but that could be expensive.

Regarding the "ready to enjoy" comment, I expect that will vary greatly from person to person. My perspective on this is that they forget to add a zero on the end when they tell you things like "try to let it age for at least 2-3 months". What really seems to be required is "20-30 months". All my big red kits are at or approaching a year and all of them are still what I would consider undrinkable.

I agree that I'll have test the so2 levels. I went to my local supply store and he said he doesn't stock the kits. I've looked online for them and they are a little pricey. but they aren't that expensive and i'd rather get it right that waste the whole batch. I think I'm ok for the time being.

I guess will have to have faith that some magic happens as time progresses with the bulk aging (it hasn't happened yet). At 5 months I would describe my 16L Selection Series Chilean merlot as grape flavored water with 13% alcohol and no depth of flavor... just diluted juice taste. I can be patient but it is hard to believe that a little time will make a huge difference, especially in a glass jug. That said, its my first kit and maybe I'll be surprised and learn from it.

I guess will have to have faith that some magic happens as time progresses with the bulk aging (it hasn't happened yet). At 5 months I would describe my 16L Selection Series Chilean merlot as grape flavored water with 13% alcohol and no depth of flavor... just diluted juice taste. I can be patient but it is hard to believe that a little time will make a huge difference, especially in a glass jug. That said, its my first kit and maybe I'll be surprised and learn from it.

I have been told magic does happen with age, but I am not sure we are having the same young wine issues. Mine are definitely not thin and watery but rather have some unenjoyable flavors which have either diseplaced or masked the flavors I am looking for. The melding thing is definitely an issue but I can also believe that it will come together with age.

Are you confident you made the kit to the recommended volume (23L)? IF it came with 16 L juice then it should have required about 7 L of water.

I have been told magic does happen with age, but I am not sure we are having the same young wine issues. Mine are definitely not thin and watery but rather have some unenjoyable flavors which have either diseplaced or masked the flavors I am looking for. The melding thing is definitely an issue but I can also believe that it will come together with age.

Are you confident you made the kit to the recommended volume (23L)? IF it came with 16 L juice then it should have required about 7 L of water.

Yes, I followed the instructions closely. I added a little too much water but not much (maybe 600 ml). Next time I'll measure instead of pouring to the line on the primary fermenter. I always topped up with wine so dilution due to topping up is not an issue. Yesterday I took a sample to the store that sold me the kit and was told that my merlot is normal for young wine and I should continue to bulk age for another 6 to 12 months. The same guy told me 6 months ago that I didn't need to bulk age so ....... I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

Yes, I followed the instructions closely. I added a little too much water but not much (maybe 600 ml). Next time I'll measure instead of pouring to the line on the primary fermenter. I always topped up with wine so dilution due to topping up is not an issue. Yesterday I took a sample to the store that sold me the kit and was told that my merlot is normal for young wine and I should continue to bulk age for another 6 to 12 months. The same guy told me 6 months ago that I didn't need to bulk age so ....... I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

I wouldn't think 600 ml would make a noticeable difference (less than 3%) especially if you topped up with wine.

Maybe this is just a "lighter" kit though I can't say as I haven't made it. What I can say is none of my CC Showcase or RJS Winery Series turned out watery.

I guess only time will tell. Do report back in a year or so and update is with the degree of miraculousness at that time.

Latest posts

Back