Watermelon Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehyde

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck with watermelon wine. Mine tastes like the rine (sp).

Ernie Hyde

I have two 5 gal batches clearing from this years crop. Haven't tasted lately, but last time it was "hot". I made it with out any water additions and used two different yeasts. Hopefully in a few months I will be able to answer this.........
smiley2.gif
. the carboy on the right is cantalope and the left is watermelon.

melontwins2.jpg

smiley20.gif
Stevo

They both look good Stevo..What will the alcohol content be?

smiley36.gif
They look very nice, stevo, but you have the carboy on the left labeled cantaloupe, and the carboy on the right labeled watermelon! Sorry, I just notice everything!

smiley36.gif

smiley36.gif
Gotta throw in my Watermlon Wine recipe here.

Step1. Using a 3" hole saw, cut cap out of end of 30-40 lb melon and set aside.

Step.2 Insert Fizz-X into cavity and beat up melon pulp into a liquid.

Step.3 Add 2 tsp. yeast nutrient, 2 campden tablets, crushed anddissolved and 1/2 tsp acid blend. Put cap back on melon and let it set overnight.

Step 4. Remove cap, add 4 cans Welch's white grapefrozen concentrate. Mix well and pitch yeast ( Lalvin 71B-1122) Drill hole in watermelon cap to accomodate airlock. Attach airlock, put cap in place. Duct tape in place and set melon aside until fermenting stops.

Step 5. Rack from melon to gallon jugs for continued ageing and clearing.

Step 6. After about 2 months pour the junk down the drain as you cuss Waldo for making this up
smiley36.gif

no doubt in my mind it would work....... my two batches fermented in just a few days. It would be great fun to try it! Maybe next year!

Stevo

Stevo said:
no doubt in my mind it would work....... my two
batches fermented in just a few days. It would be great fun to try it!
Maybe next year!

Stevo

How do they taste?

Ernie

Tastes nothing like watermelon at all, my sg must have snuck up on me as it has quite a "bite." Can't quite put the taste so far in the "good" camp, but we'll let it age for awhile and see how it turns out in six months.

Stevo

I'm glad mine is not the only one that tastes bad. I don't taste
any watermelon. I can find flavoring for watermelon either.
We'll just have to wait. I wish I hadn't made two batches.

Ernie

Latest posts

Back