Watermelon Wine Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndd1

Reaction score
I just checked on my watermelon wine in secondary and it smells like urine somewhat. However, when you sample it with some sugar it appears drinkable. Any concerns if the watermelon sour’d during fermentation

From what I've read watermelon is delicate and may go bad before there's enough alcohol for preservation.

I didn't make any this year because my watermelon didn't have enough flavor for me. Broke my heart, really looking forward to it.

Urine? , if there is hydrogen sulfide (stinky sewer) this would suggest low yeast nutrition, , , can you identify sewer like aroma?
I wouldn’t say sewer. Maybe vomit. Can I check the hydrogen sulfide levels and lower them if needed? I did add yeast nutrient in the must.

I wouldn’t say sewer. Maybe vomit. Can I check the hydrogen sulfide levels and lower them if needed? I did add yeast nutrient in the must.
This is as interesting as reading the consumer complaint line on the job, ,,, Vomit

This sounds more like a microbial infection so the next question has to be what is the pH? High pH as 3.8 will encourage Bretanomyces/ barnyard. A low pH as 3.3 will be more resistant to infection. If you have barnyard you can't remove it but you can mask it. Try the wine judge technique of sprinkling a few grains of acid blend in some of the watermelon to see if it is improved.

Last edited:
This is as interesting as reading the consumer complaint line on my the, ,,, Vomit

This sounds more like a microbial infection so the next question has to be what is the pH? High pH as 3.8 will encourage Bretanomyces/ barnyard. A low pH as 3.3 will be more resistant to infection. If you have barnyard you can't remove it but you can mask it. Try the wine judge technique of sprinkling a few grains of acid blend in some of the watermelon to see if it is improved.
I dont think it is a ph problem because I added 2.5 tsp per 5-6 gallons of must prior to fermenting. I will check it tomorrow when I get home.

Back