watermelon f-pac

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orf

Junior
Reaction score
I've been reading about f-pacs and have a gal. of watermelon going,per jack keller's recipe. It's about 2 1/2 months young and I've sampled it a few times,not so hot in my limited opinion,but I made an f-pac yesterday per instructions here,boiled it down to a syrup and added. I tasted the syrup before adding and it was sweet but didn't taste like watermelon. The wine itself dosn't taste much like watermelon either to me but its pure juice no water. Just hope it tastes better with age and addition of f-pac. My ? is after rambling on is has anyone else used a f-pac for their watermelon and how was the results? Thanks Orf...

I too would like to know about this. I am prepping to make some watermelon wine this fall. From my observations, it seems that a f-pack is necessary for this wine.

I made watermelon a couple of years ago and Juicy Juice makes a watemelon juice, I used that as an f-pac, I believe it was that juice that helped in the flavor, I also added strawberries.

To be honest, IMO, watermelon wine isn't worth the effort.

My watermelon looks awesome. The few strawberries I added to increase the acid and add color have so far done the trick. I searched for watermelon koolaid but had no luck. I'll have to remember the juicy juice.

Thanks Julie, but I hope to change your opinion.

My watermelon looks awesome. The few strawberries I added to increase the acid and add color have so far done the trick. I searched for watermelon koolaid but had no luck. I'll have to remember the juicy juice.

Thanks Julie, but I hope to change your opinion.

I'm waiting, :D

You know, cooking down watermelon juice does not produce a very pleasant smell. I started with about 4 gallons of juice yesterday, and have been slowly cooking it down, never hard boil, and man, it just isn't that appealing to the nostrils.

Last edited:
You know, cooking down watermelon juice does not produce a very pleasant smell. I started with about 4 gallons of juice yesterday, and have been slowly cooking it down, never hard boil, and man, it just isn't that appealing to the nostrils.

LOL, did you taste it? Wonder if the juice spoils when it is cooked? I would taste it before I added it.

LOL, did you taste it? Wonder if the juice spoils when it is cooked? I would taste it before I added it.

Well, I tasted it along the way, very sweet, even now, but it really does not quite taste like watermelon anymore. I was very careful not to burn it, caramelize it etc.... Could it really spoil whilst cooking it at a temp that is burning off H20?

Well, I tasted it along the way, very sweet, even now, but it really does not quite taste like watermelon anymore. I was very careful not to burn it, caramelize it etc.... Could it really spoil whilst cooking it at a temp that is burning off H20?

No, I don't think so. If is taste good, then it should be good.

Latest posts

Back