Water spilled into Crushed Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdahl

Junior
Reaction score
Well this is awkward. I crushed and destemmed a crate of Sangiovese (36 lbs.) yesterday. Brix around 21-22 (was to be measured again this morning). Added ice pack and left outside for cold soak.
Brix this morning? 16-ish...

The ice pack (all water) leaked... About 2 cups (f@-#&$@-!!).

Added 500g sugar (was going to chaptalize anyway).

Is my batch a goner? Any suggestions?

Well this is awkward. I crushed and destemmed a crate of Sangiovese (36 lbs.) yesterday. Brix around 21-22 (was to be measured again this morning). Added ice pack and left outside for cold soak.
Brix this morning? 16-ish...

The ice pack (all water) leaked... About 2 cups (f@-#&$@-!!).

Added 500g sugar (was going to chaptalize anyway).

Is my batch a goner? Any suggestions?
Two cups of water isn't the end of the world, and there's not much you can do to remove it anyway. If you could add another lug to your batch, that would help. Otherwise, I'd have done the same, checked and adjusted the BRIX to my desired starting level. If you're not already doing so, use some pectic enzyme or Lallzyme EX to increase your extraction and try to make up for the water addition. Once you've gotten your BRIX on track and some enzymes on board, check / adjust your acid if needed and get going with your yeast. Hopefully, it'll come out just fine. Good luck!!

Two cups of water isn't the end of the world, and there's not much you can do to remove it anyway. If you could add another lug to your batch, that would help. Otherwise, I'd have done the same, checked and adjusted the BRIX to my desired starting level. If you're not already doing so, use some pectic enzyme or Lallzyme EX to increase your extraction and try to make up for the water addition. Once you've gotten your BRIX on track and some enzymes on board, check / adjust your acid if needed and get going with your yeast. Hopefully, it'll come out just fine. Good luck!!

Phew! Slightly reassured. The only enzyme I have is pectic enzyme, the pouch says "mix in 1hr prior to fermentation". Would putting it 1 day ahead yield any additional extraction?
Thanks so much for your help.

I am guessing that your 36 lbs of grapes would give you about 2 gallons of must. If the starting Brix was 21 and about 2 cups of water was added, you should have ended up about 19 brix. If you only got 1 gallon of must, you still should have been about 18.7 Brix. Are you certain of you initial and later measurements??

I am guessing that your 36 lbs of grapes would give you about 2 gallons of must. If the starting Brix was 21 and about 2 cups of water was added, you should have ended up about 19 brix. If you only got 1 gallon of must, you still should have been about 18.7 Brix. Are you certain of you initial and later measurements??

You're probably correct, though I am quite sure about my measurement... sort of :p - it was prior to a complete/thorough stir; I measured in the middle/top of bucket, where that water went.
Stirred a bit, Brix was slightly up. I only measured again once I had stirred in the first 200g of sugar; which was going in anyway.

Any idea on what is the longest I can leave Pectic Enzyme in the must pre-fermentation?

You're probably correct, though I am quite sure about my measurement... sort of :p - it was prior to a complete/thorough stir; I measured in the middle/top of bucket, where that water went.
Stirred a bit, Brix was slightly up. I only measured again once I had stirred in the first 200g of sugar; which was going in anyway.
Any idea on what is the longest I can leave Pectic Enzyme in the must pre-fermentation?

The second measurement is the one that I would suspect to be off, probably not mixed well and you got mostly water.

I have added pectic enzyme and let it sit for a few days, but keeping the temp of the must very low. Someone just posted on another thread about times and temps of pectic enzyme. (Sorry, I can't be any more specific than that, I read it and said, oh, good to know).

Yep. the more time you give those enzymes to work the better they will break down the skins for more extraction. Those pouch directions just general recommendations. I would probably use a heavy handed dosage, as well as stretch the soaking time before fermentation. Any extra time helps —from few hours to a few days. Shouldn’t be difficult to keep a couple gallons at cooler temps.

BTW- this is my biggest fear for temp controlling fermentations without fancy equipment. Was planning on adding some frozen gallons of water to keep temps down and stretch out my Malbec fermentation last May. But I wussed out opting to play it safe.

I use gallon milk jugs with frozen water. I learned that the jugs don't like to be frozen and thawed too many times without developing cracks and added a 1/2 gallon of water to my Chardonnay one year. Wine is around 85% water, so it was a little higher % that year.

Just pop the enzymes in there, you'll be fine for a day or two. You may find that your BRIX will creep up a tad as the enzymes help release some of the sugars still locked up in the pulp.

Added some pectic enzyme and popped the whole batch in the basement fridge for 48 hours to extend cold soak. Either way, I'm learning a ton.
I'll probably pop in 1L of the cabernet grapes and must that is fermenting now to beef it up when fermentation starts. The Cab is fermenting with EC1118 and I'm planning on using RC212 for the Sangiovese.
You guys are awesome, thx for the input!

Added some pectic enzyme and popped the whole batch in the basement fridge for 48 hours to extend cold soak. Either way, I'm learning a ton.
I'll probably pop in 1L of the cabernet grapes and must that is fermenting now to beef it up when fermentation starts. The Cab is fermenting with EC1118 and I'm planning on using RC212 for the Sangiovese.
You guys are awesome, thx for the input!
Word of caution on the RC 212. It is very nutrient needy and will produce H2S very readily, resulting in a smelly (rotten eggs) fermentation which can taint your wine. Good nutrient protocol using Fermaid K in the prescribed dosage (split between 1/3 and 2/3 sugar depletion) would be very wise. Personally, I always supplement that with about 1/2 dose of DAP just as fermentation gets rolling.

Word of caution on the RC 212. It is very nutrient needy and will produce H2S very readily, resulting in a smelly (rotten eggs) fermentation which can taint your wine. Good nutrient protocol using Fermaid K in the prescribed dosage (split between 1/3 and 2/3 sugar depletion) would be very wise. Personally, I always supplement that with about 1/2 dose of DAP just as fermentation gets rolling.

Hmmm, interesting...
I don't have Fermaid K, but I do have yeast nutrient from LD Carlson, which has DAP in there -which I intend to use as prescribed. Thanks for the input, will make sure to keep a close "nose" on the fermentation!

My Cabernet Sauvignon (fermenting right now) is split into 3 batches, one with raw oak+EC1118, one with toasted oak+EC1118 and the 3rd oakless+RC212. They will be blended together after primary and will go through MLF together.

Minus 1L which will beef up the Sangiovese, that is.

This is now my "most wonderful time of the year" :)

Latest posts

Back