WineXpert Washington Riesling Chenin Blanc LE - Tweaks please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putterrr

Reaction score
This was last years limited edition which i'm finally getting around to starting ( i really have to stop buying kits till i catch up)

Did anyone do any tweaks instead of following the instructions and how did they turn out?

Or does anyhone have any suggestions for zesting, dried fruit (apricots maybe)?

thx a bunch

cheers

Just because I can and to have something different than my friends that made the same kit. Joe's zesting with Sauv Blanc was such a huge success and that was an En Primeur Kit which probably did not need anything either

thx

I have this kit bulk aging right now. I didn't do any tweaking and dont plan to so I can't help you there. Others on this forum have mentioned that this one might need some further aging before it comes around.

The only change I might make is not adding the entire f pac. I plan to add half and taste before adding any more. I know its a small fpac but I don't like my wines sweet at all.

Let us know what you decide.

Josh

Coffee port

:u

WHILE YOUR IN THE SECONDARY ADD 2 TABLE SPOONS OF INSTANT COFFEE (STANDARD TYPE ) STIR IT IN WELL AND LET IT SIT FOR AT LEAST 1 WEEK,THIS WILL BOOST THE COFFEE END OF THE PORT AND MAKE IT ALL IT CAN BE ,YOU'LL LOVE THE ADDITION.:u

I added the entire f PAC. Not sweet at all. Bottled in July. Tastes good, but I'm hoping aging will make it taste great.

Adam

This was last years limited edition which i'm finally getting around to starting ( i really have to stop buying kits till i catch up)

Did anyone do any tweaks instead of following the instructions and how did they turn out?

Or does anyhone have any suggestions for zesting, dried fruit (apricots maybe)?

thx a bunch

cheers
Here I thought I was the only one that does most of my limited editions almost a year later.:h
I am going to start this kit the first week of November and I was wondering if I was going to alter it in any way. I seem to tweak every red kit I make with more oak, barrel time, tannin, different yeast, sometimes glycerin. I have never tweaked a white. The only thing I know is some people have added Golden raisins in the primary.

:u

WHILE YOUR IN THE SECONDARY ADD 2 TABLE SPOONS OF INSTANT COFFEE (STANDARD TYPE ) STIR IT IN WELL AND LET IT SIT FOR AT LEAST 1 WEEK,THIS WILL BOOST THE COFFEE END OF THE PORT AND MAKE IT ALL IT CAN BE ,YOU'LL LOVE THE ADDITION.:u

Thanks to your port thread Joe, the coffee has been in for a couple months now. The sample was very good. can't wiat to see what the tannin does

Here I thought I was the only one that does most of my limited editions almost a year later.:h
I am going to start this kit the first week of November and I was wondering if I was going to alter it in any way. I seem to tweak every red kit I make with more oak, barrel time, tannin, different yeast, sometimes glycerin. I have never tweaked a white. The only thing I know is some people have added Golden raisins in the primary.

I also have my Italian Nebbiolo in the primary. Better late than never

You think raisins would go with this one Ed? The RJS Piazza from 2 years ago had a raisin pack and it was fantastic. Would 1/2 lb be about right? I was wondering what dried apricots in the primary would do if anything?

Riesling gives boldly classic apple and stone fruit aromas, while Chenin Blanc provides more subtle melon and honey notes. On the palate it shows apricot, peach, green apple, quince and honey, with zesty acidity offset by a creamy mouthfeel and perfectly balanced richness. An excellent food wine, it matches well with grilled chicken, pork, and seafood, but it’s also an excellent sipper on its own, juicy, thirst-quenching and delicious. Sweetness: Off-Dry | Body: Medium | Oak Intensity: None

cheers

I think a 1/2 pound would be about right. I think it was DangerDave that used golden raisins on a Riesling-Gewurztraminer blend successfully. I am intrigued by your dried apricot idea. I think it would enhance the stone fruit that the riesling has.:br

I will be starting mine on the weekend. I have a young bottle from someone elses batch that will be sampled tonight to see what we think of the wine as per instructions.

cheers

I think a 1/2 pound would be about right. I think it was DangerDave that used golden raisins on a Riesling-Gewurztraminer blend successfully. I am intrigued by your dried apricot idea. I think it would enhance the stone fruit that the riesling has.:br

forgot to ask, is there any brand or raisins that are better than the other?

Not a big tweaker, but I did sub BA11 yeast. Took a Gold/Best in Show with this one!

We opened our bottle last night and it was not as sweet as I ecpected (and as people reported in above posts) which was a nice surprise. So it will be the whole F-pack for this one. It was a nice light wine definately with apple. Wife got a hint of apricots. It is nice as is but I'm thinking of adding the raisins and apricots. Getting different yeast is not as easy or as cheap as those that live south of the border (i refuse to pay high shipping costs)

thx all

I would go with whatever you can find. In my area I can find Sun-Maid.

I cant get that brand Ed. I asked in a thread in the general section about the 2 i could find. Both mentioned oils (1 had vegetable and 1 with Palm)
not sure if i can use them. I did find dried apricots that just had sulphite. I think i will wait to start this till i can check more stores. I guess the French Rose' is up in for now. I also just bought the RJS RQ Cab Sav for $75. I've tasted this one and it is very good.

cheers

Back