WE LE "New Instructions" ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new instructions for Forza have the wine staying on the lees for a total of 41 days after clearing. Does red wine benefit from extended stays on the lees? I know white wine does. Thoughts,,,

No thoughts about leaving red wine on the lees for a extended period of time????

The instructions are written to make it easier for brew shops, I will continue to rack 10 days after clearing, then start bulk aging racking every 3 months.

The instructions are written to make it easier for brew shops, I will continue to rack 10 days after clearing, then start bulk aging racking every 3 months.
That was my plan too,,,

Did you leave yours in the fermenter on the skins for 2 weeks? I plan on doing that. I think it will benefit from the extra time on the skins.

I got a fermonster and am doing extended maseration (5-6 weeks) on my red skin kits. Even before though I would push my skin contact time to 10 -14 days.

Thoughts on opening the fermenter everyday to punch down the skins bag after getting a hydrometer reading of 1.010 or less. My thoughts are at that point it's to risky to open and stir everyday until day 14.

I've been doing the kits following the new instructions, however I almost always left kits a little longer in primary and secondary than the instructions stated so it's in line with my thinking. I feel it improves the mouth feel of both red and white wines.

Do you open and stir everyday until day 14? I never ferment under airlock, but I do understand the need to add one once the SG drops and the extended time in the primary.

After about 5 days I tighten the lid on the fermonster and just slosh it back and forth after that to keep the skins wet.

If it is an RJS kit with dry skins the skins go in loose, the wet skins I use a bag. I seems after 3-4 weeks the skins sink.

Sounds like a plan, thanks!

Latest posts

Back