Washing grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s0615353

Reaction score
When you make wine from grapes do you rinse them off with water first, or just take them off the stems and press?

Last edited:
I do wash mine ( my wife is crazy like that). However I got a 5 gal. bucket of muscadines given to me and there was a lot of "free run" juice in the bucket and I told her that I was NOT loosing that juice.

What about grapes turning brown. do you only take the grapes that are ones you would want to eat, or do they all go in?

I usually rinse my off - but I am also not processing tons of grapes - i did 300#s of 3 varietals - just about as much as I want to do.

More than that - I am just crushing and adding k-meta in..

Since grapes grow suspended above the ground (no dirt compared to fruits that touch the ground), may be exposed to fruit flies and other bugs for a couple weeks, are fermented using 'germs' you would typically try to wash off, and end up with alcohol level high enough to kill most 'yucks', washing the grapes beforehand seems like it would have no beneficial effect and would only potentially serve to dilute the must with a little extra water.

If in doubt, I remind myself that the KISS principle with winemaking is almost always the way to go (Keep It Simple, Stupid! - don't do anymore than the basics to ensure best results, or overworking/overthinking the process is one of the best ways to screw it up). Good luck!

P.S. to dralarms - If my wife isn't helping carry the buckets full of grapes and juice up the stairs, she doesn't get to provide input into the preparation or fermenting of the grapes! If that sounds harsh, it's because my wife doesn't have much interest in the details until taste-testing time, so there isn't much debate before then! :)

Let me be subtle on washing grapes...

NEVER, EVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER, NEVER!

Look, If the grapes are purchsed, and they look so bad that you need to wash them, then dont buy them.

Washing will dilute that PH and sugar that the grape grower worked so har to produce!!! Most winegrape clusters have grapes rather tightly packed. This acts like capilaries, drawing the water inward and ensuring that you can never dry them easily.

As stated before, take the time and pick through the grapes instead. If they are too far gone, then dont bother with them!.

Let me be subtle on washing grapes...

NEVER, EVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER, NEVER!

Look, If the grapes are purchsed, and they look so bad that you need to wash them, then dont buy them.

Washing will dilute that PH and sugar that the grape grower worked so har to produce!!! Most winegrape clusters have grapes rather tightly packed. This acts like capilaries, drawing the water inward and ensuring that you can never dry them easily.

As stated before, take the time and pick through the grapes instead. If they are too far gone, then dont bother with them!.

I agree, John.

Latest posts

Back