Wanted to bulk age but never racked

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bostaevski

Junior
Reaction score
Did I ruin my wines?

I have 3 different batches that were all due to be bottled, per instructions, back around February... I wanted to bulk age them so I just skipped that final step. Recently I realized maybe I should have racked the wine off the sediment back in February? I was planning on getting that done tonight. Is there anything I should take into consideration?

Were these kits or fruit/country wines? Had you racked them at all?

If you had racked once or twice already, it will be fine. Rack it now, and add 1/4 teaspoon of potassium metabisulfate (k-meta). Then either age a bit more or wait a couple days and bottle. I say wait a couple days because the free SO2 levels were probably down. Giving it a couple days will ensure the levels are back up all throughout the wine.

They all kit wines, a Cab and Riesling from Winexpert and a Cab from U.S. Elite. I've tried to follow the instructions exactly except for the bottling part.

Then you should be fine after you rack it and add the k-meta. If you suck up some sediment at racking, let it settle out again before bottling. A week or two should do it at this point.

Latest posts

Back