Waldo's Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
My Darling bought me a Mehu-LiisaSteamer/Juicer for our Anniversary. It came inMonday and I gave it it's first trial runyesterday morning and it worked great. I only filled the container abouthalf full of its capable capacity for the trial run andwas well pleased withthe results.
DSCN0003-2.jpg

DSCN0006-1.jpg

DSCN0010-1.jpg

DSCN0011-1.jpg

DSCN0012-1.jpg

applejuice.jpg

This juice will soon be making some fine spiced apple wine !!!! Or I hope it will be anyway
smiley36.gif
Edited by: Waldo

Wow!!! What a great gift!! Love the photos, Waldo!

What kind of apples are those?

Glad you got your juicer and liked how it worked.....I always found apples to be slow....I sprinkle a tiny amount of sugar on top of the apples and found it helped release the juices...
Wait till you put some other fruit in there and see how fast the juice runs....looking forward to your reports on the juicer...and the juice....
smiley4.gif

Waldo: The steamer looks great. I picked up one at an estate sale a while back, and just tried it last Sat. I steamed 15 lbs of Chokecherries. I could not believe the amount of juice that was pouring out of the spout.. I have a 6 gal batch of wine already started. I think the steamer is a vinters best friend. Northern has a wonderful fourm with pictures, that was my inspiration. I wish I would have thought to take pictures. I was to worried about my little ones running around the hot pot.... good luck...jh

Waldo,

How many apples did you use to get that much juice? Also, were you able to use the left-overs for anything?

pkcook said:
Waldo,

How many apples did you use to get that much juice?  Also,  were you able to use the left-overs for anything?

Friends of mine make apple sauce with the pulp by running it through a Foley Mill...haven't tried that...
We are not apple sauce eaters..... but would like to make some cinnamon/apple sauce Christmas Ornaments some day, so might run some pulp through a food mill and try making those......
smiley4.gif

Joan said:
Wow!!! What a great gift!! Love the photos, Waldo!

What kind of apples are those?
Golden Delicious Joan....Wish they were Crab Apples..

pkcook said:
Waldo,

How many apples did you use to get that much juice? Also, were you able to use the left-overs for anything?
Used around 26 lbs and got a little over a gallon of juice totalpk and I have frozen the remnants and will use some of it later in the wine and will make Apple Sauce and Apple Butter with the restEdited by: Waldo

Northern Winos said:
Glad you got your juicer and liked how it worked.....I always found apples to be slow....I sprinkle a tiny amount of sugar on top of the apples and found it helped release the juices...
Wait till you put some other fruit in there and see how fast the juice runs....looking forward to your reports on the juicer...and the juice....
smiley4.gif
Thanks Wino...I just put another batch on so I will sprinkle a little sugar on them. I am just putting trhe juice I collect right now in the fridge until I get all the apples done...Any problem doing it that way?

kutya said:
Waldo: The steamer looks great. I picked up one at an estate sale a while back, and just tried it last Sat. I steamed 15 lbs of Chokecherries. I could not believe the amount of juice that was pouring out of the spout.. I have a 6 gal batch of wine already started. I think the steamer is a vinters best friend. Northern has a wonderful fourm with pictures, that was my inspiration. I wish I would have thought to take pictures. I was to worried about my little ones running around the hot pot.... good luck...jh
They are awesome aren't they. Worked way beyond my expectations. And you are right about the heat being dangerous. HAve to use extreme caution in handling that drain hose. That sucker puts out some steam before the juices beging flowing.
George may want to conssider handling these in his store.

Waldo said:
Thanks Wino...I just put another batch on so I will sprinkle a little sugar on them. I am just putting trhe juice I collect right now in the fridge until I get all the apples done...Any problem doing it that way?

I think you could keep the juice in the fridge for awhile....we keep our quarts of opened drinking juice for a few days with no problem...keep on juicin'...and keep us posted when you start the wine...
smiley4.gif

My plans are to start the apple wine this weekend wino..I steamed another batch this evening and after it was through I emptied out the pulp and grabbed a zip loc bag ( almost 2 quarts in it ) of Muscadines a friend had brought me today that he had picked at his house. I threw them in the steamer, wanting to see what it would do with Muscadines and the ever so pleasing results were:

20060913_171421_muscadine_juice.jpg

I am definately going to enjoy this contraption.Edited by: Waldo

I have a question for those of you who have neen using the steamers. When making wine from the juice extracted, do you add water to the juice and if so, at what ratio?

Awsome Waldo. Im going to look into this steamer. Great pics
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill B

Latest posts

Back