WineXpert VR Cabernet stabilizing and fining

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physics911

Reaction score
My Vintners Reserve Cabernet says, in big letters, do not rack off the fine lees before adding the stabilizers and fining agents. Why? What are the rules regarding stabilizers before or after it off the fine lees?

Initially, I racked after about 8 days when the SG was about .99.
I racked again about 10 days later and degassed.
Yesterday, about 21 days later I added packs 3, 4 and 5, and degassed. This was one racking past where the kit said to, but there was still a layer of fine lees. Do I need to take any additional steps at this point?

Thank you,
Chris

My Vintners Reserve Cabernet says, in big letters, do not rack off the fine lees before adding the stabilizers and fining agents. Why? What are the rules regarding stabilizers before or after it off the fine lees?
Chris:

There are no rules. Different people/companies do things different ways. This happens to be the Winexpert way.

Steve

Steve,
Thank you for your reply.
However, I'm not sure I follow you. I understand different people/companies do things differently, but they do it for a reason.

What I'm asking is what specifically is it about this kit or line of kits, that makes them emphatically say not to rack before stabilizing? What is the chemistry and physics of this instruction, and what makes it different than racking then stabilizing?

Thank you,
Chris

I understand different people/companies do things differently, but they do it for a reason.

Yes, but that reason may not be rooted in chemistry or physics or biology.

Many of us were, well, surprised to discover not only the new WE instructions but also the emphatic nature of those instructions. I know that I do not know what their reasons were.

I've always ASSUMED they found their kits to clear more fully (or probably just more quickly) when fining with the lees stirred into suspension. I have followed the individual kit makers instructions (WE, RJS, CC), on fining at least, up to this point and never had any issues. I'm sure you'll be fine regardless.

Latest posts

Back