Viognier VS Muscat in controlled temp

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigdogmom

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,
Although I have never made a white wine, I ordered two white juices with my grapes this year. They should be getting here tomorrow.

I really did not think this thru before ordering, because from what I can tell temperature is pretty important in making white wine. I have one wine fridge that I could remove the racks from and use to keep the fermenting wine at about 60 degrees. However, I can only fit one batch in there.

If there are any experienced white wine makers out there that could give me an opinion, I would really appreciate it. Which one should I chill? The other one will go on a cold floor in the basement, because honestly that is the best alternative I have.

If you have any other pointers on making these two types, I would also welcome those. I have been thinking that I will be using d47 for yeast.

Thank you!!

If you lay a thermometer on the cold floor in the basement, what is the temperature?

When I lived in an apartment and was making beer in the summer (many, many moons ago), I used to take my carboy to the apartment complex basement and place an inverted insulated box over the carboy that had a slit for the fermentation lock to fit through. I used to be able to keep my beer at just a few degrees over the temperature of the floor, and was able to make a good quality beer in the heat of summer.

Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back