Vintners Best added extra sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbyGreen

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone and I apologize ahead of time for being an idiot. So I started a batch of Vinters best peach wine. I added the gallon of base along with the 4 gallons of water. Then I added a pound of sugar. Which I’m now beginning to feel like was a no no. Is there any reversing what I’ve done. The wine seems to be fizzy. It’s been fermenting for about a month. Thanks in advance for the words of wisdom.

Welcome to WMT!

What is the SG? That's the only way to tell whether it is still fermenting or offgassing CO2 now.

What kind of yeast did you use? Different strains have different tolerances for alcohol. Something like EC-1118 can probably handle the extra sugar, so you will have a higher alcohol wine than if you hadn't added the sugar.

Last edited:
We’re you following all kit directions otherwise? A pound of added sugar in four gallons probably didn’t up the alcohol content beyond the ability of your yeast. I’m sure someone more familiar with kits will weigh in but I would keep following the directions. Keep it topped up and under an airlock after fermentation is complete.

If I have learned one thing it’s that the hydrometer is your friend. Get two (they break in clumsy hands… I know this) and learn how to read it. The hydrometer will tell you if your fermentation as done. If you take initial readings it will also tell you your approximate alcohol content.

Also, to answer your questions. No you cannot take the sugar out, but it’s highly unlikely it will negatively affect your wine. As mentioned, it will just be a little higher in alcohol content.

Is your wine still in a bucket fermenter? Unless you’re fermenting in a very cool location, after a month, you should be close enough to done that you can rack it into a carboy, top it up, and put an airlock on it. Once it’s in the Carboy you can relax as the wine is protected… especially if you add the Potassium metabisulfite (or Camden tablets) according to the directions at racking.

And welcome to WMT!

Also, to answer your questions. No you cannot take the sugar out, but it’s highly unlikely it will negatively affect your wine. As mentioned, it will just be a little higher in alcohol content.

Is your wine still in a bucket fermenter? Unless you’re fermenting in a very cool location, after a month, you should be close enough to done that you can rack it into a carboy, top it up, and put an airlock on it. Once it’s in the Carboy you can relax as the wine is protected… especially if you add the Potassium metabisulfite (or Camden tablets) according to the directions at racking.

And welcome to WMT!
[/QUOT

Thanks for all the help! I moved the wine into a secondary fermentation bucket. The wine tasted tart so I went into panic mode. I think the room temperature where I was keeping it was less than ideal too.

Hi BubbyGreen, by "secondary fermentation bucket", can I confirm that it is a device with an airlock? After 1 month, you want to minimize the contact with oxygen. If you have it in a carboy that is filled to the top with an airlock, you are probably in great shape. Not sure about Vintners best peach wine, but I made peach wine from my tree last summer and it was gorgeous. Have fun!

Yep. And when fermentation is complete you have a very dry wine. All the dissolved CO2 from fermentation also adds to the tartness. Does the kit instruct you to add sorbate and back sweeten to taste? It doesn’t have to be sweet but this does bring out the fruit flavor in wines.

The instructions say to ferment until an SG of 1.000 or lower is reached.
Once again instructions that really are not accurate or shall we say ambiguous.
This is the sort of thing that makes it more difficult for folks new to wine making.

Here's the back label from their "Peach" Wine base. My problem is with the list of ingredients. Your are buying peach flavored Apple Juice. When I make a Peach wine the only flavor I want in my Peach wine is Peach, not Apple, not Pear - Just Peach. There isn't even a percentage given but by convention the ingredients are listed from greatest to lowest content.
1641625860746.png

@BubbyGreen, have your questions been sufficiently answered?

Here's the back label from their "Peach" Wine base. My problem is with the list of ingredients. Your are buying peach flavored Apple Juice.
When I read the back label on the Elderberry I purchased, my first thought was, "Oh @^&%!!!". But I had already opened the container, and decided to proceed. If nothing else, I'd have cooking wine. I did not have great expectations, but it was either continue or throw it out.

The wine turned out to be very good. Everyone that has tasted it, really liked it. I was totally surprised.

If mine was tasted against a fresh Elderberry wine or one made from Vintners Harvest (pure concentrate), it will probably be the lesser wine. However, on its own, the wine turned out fine.

Yes, And your comment is not an unseal comment and I don't take any issue with it. I just have this thing about honesty in labeling. Until you read the fine print, you don't really know what you are getting. To get this image of the back label I had to really hunt around on the web to find it, and that to me is a tell-tale sign that everyone isn't being up front. Should be labeled as "Blended Wine Base"
Taste is not likely to be poor but just not a 100% single variety product.
I'm hoping to try Columna some day but right now wine making is on hold while I catch up on some other things around the place. At 70+ it takes longer to take care of 18 acres of fields and woods. Playing catch up on my wood cutting, firewood stacks right now. At least the weather is better for that now than in the middle of summer.

Note, from what I understand about Elderberry, it doesn't take as much to make a great wine I've heard of as little as 3lbs per gallon but thin there is also that Green goo issue with fresh elderberries too,. Likely as not you faired a lot better using a prepared base. I made some with Vintner's Harvest elderberry wine base and it's a lot like blueberry with bit of bite to it.

@Scooter68, I agree, the Vintners Best label is misleading. Having to read the back label to discover the concentrate isn't close to pure is not cool.

My point in posting was to reassure those who have purchased this brand that they can get a very nice result. This conversation is also a good warning to always read the label before buying!

I haven't made wine from fresh Elderberry since '87. I recall how much of a PITA it was cleaning the green goo off the equipment! However, if I got fresh fruit, I'd do it again. I 'spose that makes me a glutton for punishment.

Yup =- just like me and fresh peaches. The must is a royal pain to get prepped and measure the SG but the results..... sooo good.

And great point about the labels. I always hunt around until I know exactly what's in it. Even with your everyday food shopping they have become very "clever" at hiding the contents or making appealing labels. Like the Vegan patties my wife bought. The box shows beautiful hamburgers on a bun. In the box 4 patties bare, no bun and plenty of extra box space not used. (I'm not a vegan and no offense to those who are - Wife is going vegan for health reasons only.)

I wanted to make pear wine last year and decided to give VB a try. I wasn't expecting much as it was really inexpensive and as stated above the primary ingredients are corn syrup along with apple and other juices with "natural flavors". All things aside it came out way better than i expected (and I must say it makes a great white sangria😋). I started a new batch of pear on Friday but this time added three cans of pear halves in juice to hopefully give it a little more flavor.

Has anybody made Vintner's Best rhubarb wine? My family is a big fan of rhubarb so I bought a jug of it at the same time I purchased VB pear concentrate. Since I can't find real rhubarb right now I'm thinking about adding strawberries to the mix since VB tends to be lacking in the desired flavor - after all it's mostly corn syrup and apple juice with some added flavor. Any recommendations are appreciated!

BTW - Yesterday I tasted and then bottled the VB pear wine I started in December. To this batch I added three cans of pear halves in juice and it made a big difference. It actually tastes much more like a real pear wine.

Has anybody made Vintner's Best rhubarb wine? My family is a big fan of rhubarb so I bought a jug of it at the same time I purchased VB pear concentrate. Since I can't find real rhubarb right now I'm thinking about adding strawberries to the mix since VB tends to be lacking in the desired flavor - after all it's mostly corn syrup and apple juice with some added flavor. Any recommendations are appreciated!
I haven't, but I wonder if you could make an f-pac out of frozen rhubarb (Walmart shows it on their website, and Amazon has several sources) and add that after primary fermentation is complete. That'd definitely give it a kick of flavor.

Back