WineXpert Vintner Reserve Coastal Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalofrenchy

Reaction score
Went to my local store today and asked for a red that requires the least amount of aging in bottles. Coastal red was recommended to me. Since this will be my first red and only second batch overall, I have been looking for wine ready to drink. Did not know much about this so I hope it was the right recommendation. Will start the kit this weekend when the sauvignon blanc goes in the carboy.
Anyone tried this one?

Not sure about the coastal red, but I have made the coastal white and it is palatable early. Suppose a red is a different beast so on that note I have made the mezza Luna red, similar quality and price point. I am actually having a glass right now. It's alright I suppose for 6 months old. I am sure it will get a little better later though. Thus the question is, how "early" are you looking at?

With the risk of sounding naive I was hoping for a month of bottle aging to start drinking it while allowing better wines aging properly.

I've made this kit 3 times, and it's a good starter kit. I've tweaked all of mine slightly, added oak and some frozen dark cherries in the primary. I'd say you're looking at 6 months to drinkable, at 1-1//2 years it's pretty decent really.
Enjoy, let us know how it turns out, I do remember tasting it often and the difference at 1 then 3 and 6 months was amazing to me and really gave me my first sense of what time does for wine.

Mike

I thought that after aging a month my mezza Luna had a very strong KIT taste. I associate this taste with a raspberry sweet taste. Not a grape wine taste. But as long as you thoroughly degas your wine, you might be able to enjoy it. Depending on what your expectations are.

Ok this coastal red is officially under primary fermentation. The hydrometer reading was only 1.086 despite 5 good minutes of vigorous stirring. A bit low for a red isnt it? Although from I read it is a light bodied wine.

I just did a cellar craft sterling GSM and it only came it at 1.086 too. I was so disappointed I took a reading on my tap water and sure enough it was .994 have you checked your hydrometer?

Interesting. First of all I measured the juice with the hydrometer in the primary. I just measured using water in the test jar (first time I m using the test jar). It reads .998 at 70 F which is unity with correction factor. However if I were looking down at the test jar (like when I put the hydro in primary) I would have measured .994... I under estimated the inaccuracies with the hydrometer in the primary looking down at it...
All in all I think my coastal red might be 1.092

I've made both the Mezza Luna Red and the Coastal Red. No tweaks on either as I like to make it straight the first time to have a base line to judge by. I thought the ML was a little thin and preferred the Coastal. Made both as early drinkers and I'm sure both would have benefited from more time though I enjoyed both, I would definitely make the Coastal again. Having said that my tastes run toward Southern Italian home made wines. YMMV. :h

Latest posts

Back