Vinters Harvest Fruit Base Instructions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree....the Black Currant was awesome...nice and thick and well worth the money...the wine was great....The Blackberry was short on fruit and heavy on water...was disappointed with that can when I opened it...wine was okay...I added to it to boost the body.

Would do Black Currant again
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Northern Winos said:
I agree....the Black Currant was awesome...nice and thick and well worth the money...the wine was great....The Blackberry was short on fruit and heavy on water...was disappointed with that can when I opened it...wine was okay...I added to it to boost the body.

Would do Black Currant again
smiley4.gif
Our raspberry was full to the top with fruit but the apricot was very lean.

Glad you liked it NW. This is the only 1 that I found worth mentioning to anyone but do want to try the Boysenberry.

Wade, if you dump 10 times more K Meta into your must would you expect the fruit to go bad? :)

I do like making a stock solution of KMeta in a brown screwcarp beer bottle. Its much easier to then measure out a teaspoon of solution to add to a gallon of must and not have to worry about crushing and dissolving camden tablets or weighing out the KMeta powder each time you need to sulfite your wines. Give it a try and get weined off of camden tablets, a pound of KMeta is much cheaper than a bunch of camdens tablets.

Crackedcork
Edited by: Cracked Cork

Cracked Cork said:
Wade, if you dump 10 times more K Meta into your must would you expect the fruit to go bad? :)

I do like making a stock solution of KMeta in a brown screwcarp beer bottle. Its much easier to then measure out a teaspoon of solution to add to a gallon of must and not have to worry about crushing and dissolving camden tablets or weighing out the KMeta powder each time you need to sulfite your wines. Give it a try and get weined off of camden tablets, a pound of KMeta is much cheaper than a bunch of camdens tablets.

Crackedcork

I do that with sodium metabisulfate crystals.
One teaspoon of a .1 solution Is equal to one campden tab if i figured correctly. I hope??

Cracked I do use K-meta now and I have a 1/4 tsp and 1/8 tsp spoon but
I still have some campden tablets left over so I still use them and
will not buy any more once Im done. As far as the fruit goes I do not
know and dont want to find out!
smiley24.gif

Yeah Scotty, I figured it has a lot of pluses, you only have to breath the dust once for every time you mix up a solution of it instead of each time you try to measure out a quarter of a teaspoon plus its a lot more accurate measuring out a teaspoon of fluid than a quarter of a teaspoon of powder. Crackedcork

Okay, okay...I running out of Campden Tablets....so please give me the recipe and instructions again....Thanks.

The .1 solution is what is in the acid test kit. I think some use .2 which i believe is just twice the strength of .1(((i hope)

Here is the formula I readthat uses sulfite crystals for making a .1 solution.

5 grams for 500 ml distilled water

I kept reducing the amount down to 1 gram for 100ml water(3.38 ounces)

another one i found somewhere
1/4 pound crystals into 16 ounces of hot water then top up to one quart with cool water.

i like a 4 ounce batch so i reduced the amounts to .5 ounce of crystals in 2 ounces of hot water then top up yo 4 ounces with cool water,

1 teaspoon of .1 so;ution is equal to 1 campden tablet.

as always i am one who appreciates corrections of any type.
smiley20.gif
smiley1.gif

Wade,

I'll let you all know about the fruit & the wine, for that matter. It is still perking like an old fashioned coffee pot.

This week I finished bottling (except for labels) the blackberry & it tastes great!!!!

Wade,

That was the batch I put in about 10x too much Kmeta because I misread the VH instr.Following your instructions, I "beat the snot out of it." also used 5 or 6 pkg of various yeasts I had.

So Glad you were able to save it and then for it to come out great, thats just an added bonus!

Latest posts

Back