Other Vino ilaliano valpolicella

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryptonitewine

Reaction score
I scored a VI valpolicella kit on amazon for $25 shipped. Couldn't pass it up. I just started it today. Added 4 ozs of French oak, 5 bananas, and 20 ozs of raisins. Watered kit to 5 gallons rather than 6. Hopefully this will come out ok

I scored a VI valpolicella kit on amazon for $25 shipped. Couldn't pass it up. I just started it today. Added 4 ozs of French oak, 5 bananas, and 20 ozs of raisins. Watered kit to 5 gallons rather than 6. Hopefully this will come out ok
I think you will like it. It is one of the better ones from Paklab. I have made that kit 4 or 5 times and it continues to be a great wine for the price. your additions of Oak, Raisins and bananas will certainly add body. The only thing is, I would have made it 6 gallons. Give it one year and it will be as good as any $10 bottle you can buy.

pjd said:
I think you will like it. It is one of the better ones from Paklab. I have made that kit 4 or 5 times and it continues to be a great wine for the price. your additions of Oak, Raisins and bananas will certainly add body. The only thing is, I would have made it 6 gallons. Give it one year and it will be as good as any $10 bottle you can buy.

Good to hear. i was concerned at the price that it would be yucky. Would adding water when I rack to secondary cause an issue?

I probably would not add water now that it has started. I did see from my notes that the last two of this kit I did the sg was a little low and that I did add some sugar to bring it up to 1.09.

I did that kit with a grape skin pack last year. Really a nice everyday wine. I agree with all that tweak take it to 6 gal if you still can.

I look at my notes I added 2 cups sugar to get to 1.10 sg and I was just over 5 gal.
Additions
Date Quantity Addition
Jul 25, 2012 1/2 cup oak plus med american oak - boiled all added
Jul 25, 2012 2 cups sugar
Jul 25, 2012 2.5 kg merlot grape pack loose not in bag
Jul 25, 2012 1/2 tsp peptic enzyme

Fermentation
Type Start Date End Date Yeast/Culture
Alcoholic Fermentation Jul 25, 2012 Aug 08, 2012 ec-1118

I cracked open the lid and added water. It has only been 24 hours so can't see how it would hurt. Have it a good stir and squeezed the fruit bag a little bit.

I racked this on Sunday to the secondary. Smells amazing. The banana is a little strong but should subside over time. Didn't taste it as I hate the yeasty taste when wines are fermenting.

Latest posts

Back