Other Vinifera Noble Chianti Wine Floaters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyB

Junior
Reaction score
I’m making a Vinifera Noble Chianti as a quick drink and I may have some issues. Primary fermentation went well and racked to a 6-gallon glass Carboy. During racking, I used some gas “Private Preserve” to make up the difference in the Carboy to Bung. I had about 5-inches from wine to Bung at the time I was finished. During Primary fermentation, I topped-off to only about 5 ½ gallons thinking it would result in a “fuller Bodied” wine. This wine calls for stirring every day to enhance the Oak flavor and that is what I did. Every other day, I shot a little more gas into the Carboy to compensate for the 02 exposure.
I’ve been at .992 for a couple of days now, but the airlock still bubbles about every 2-minutes. The thing that worries me is that there are “little floaters” around the edge of the Carboy. Best way to describe them is – cooled Fat spots that happen when you let a beef stew cool. Graphic I know! They are about twice the size of a pinhead and are only found around the edge of the glass inward for about an inch. They aren't solid, only covering about 1/10 of a 1-inch wide ring. None can be seen toward the center of the Carboy.
Sorry for the description, would post a picture but I’m sure the flash would reflect too bad.
Any thoughts?

If its done fermenting then add the sulfites and sorbate and you should be fine.

Back