Vinifera blending

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havlikn

Reaction score
I have around 50 gallons of Cabernet that has been in stainless steel since last year. This year I am making around 30 gallons of Zinfandel and 30 gallons of merlot.

Right now the cab has a little bit too it which I am assuming is a result of no micro oxidation in the steel.

I have a 70 gallon flex tank that I am planning to blend the cab and another varietal in to allow micro oxidation.

Two questions,

Merlot is more than likely the clear choice to blend in?

Should I put the Merlot through malo first and than rack everything into the flex tank?

I know taste trials is the best option, but I need to fill the flex tank full, so my option is really to put all the cab in and fill the remainder with the blending wine.

I have around 50 gallons of Cabernet that has been in stainless steel since last year. This year I am making around 30 gallons of Zinfandel and 30 gallons of merlot.

Right now the cab has a little bit too it which I am assuming is a result of no micro oxidation in the steel.

I have a 70 gallon flex tank that I am planning to blend the cab and another varietal in to allow micro oxidation.

Two questions,

Merlot is more than likely the clear choice to blend in?

Should I put the Merlot through malo first and than rack everything into the flex tank?

I know taste trials is the best option, but I need to fill the flex tank full, so my option is really to put all the cab in and fill the remainder with the blending wine.

You can blend anything you like, so don't limit yourself there, a Cab/Merlot/Zin blend might be the best wine. Generally speaking though, Merlot is probably more often blended with Cab.

Assuming the cab is already been through MLF and has been sulfited, you should definitely let the merlot go through MLF before blending with it.

I agree 100% with John. Definitely do MLF with the Merlot and that one should be your primary blender with a Cab. Good luck!

Back