Vines for a Noob

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xterrable

Junior
Reaction score
Greetings

I am looking for some good reading material on growing vines. I have one heck of a green thumb and one heck of a tongue for wine. So I figured I would put my skills to use and have some fun at the same time.

I think I want to start some Catawba vines, as hey seem to be hearty in my area of PA.

Some basic questions in the mean time:
From what I read, about 100 pounds of grapes will make enough juice for a 6 gallon carboy. Does that sound about right?

Whats the estimate on how many vines I would need in order to produce 100 pounds of grapes? (I know thats a very loaded question)

Now, where to buy? Shall I attempt to buy local or via the mail?

Thanks all.
- X

I seem to recall 1 mature vine will produce roughly 1 gallon of wine. Perhaps someone else can add some more insight specific to Catawba vines.

Welcome to the forums!

Around a gallon per vine is a good estimate for Catawba. They will produce more, but may not ripen well if you let them. Catawba is a pretty vigorous grower and should do well for you.

Double A Vineyards, Northeast Vine Supply, Grafted Grapevine are all good sources and their websites have quite a bit of information available on them.

I don't know grape growing specifics, but check into worm tea. Your vines will grow healthy and the tea will halt any fungus problems.

Latest posts

Back