Veterans Sign In

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaWang,

Thank you for sharing. Even though it is a fictional speech I feel most who have served can relate...

I recall a time when our platoon was marching back to the barracks after a long day at the rifle range. There was the precise cadence sounding from boots hitting the ground of a nearly fully matured recruit platoon. Added to that was a soft whistle caused by a slight breeze blowing through the flash suppressors of our shouldered M14's. A beautiful sunset was cast upon Paris Island. I found myself feeling this overwhelming connection, an affinity, with every soldier or warrior past, present and future. The memory of that feeling will return to me from time to time and always on days such as today.

DaWang,

Thank you for sharing. Even though it is a fictional speech I feel most who have served can relate...

I recall a time when our platoon was marching back to the barracks after a long day at the rifle range. There was the precise cadence sounding from boots hitting the ground of a nearly fully matured recruit platoon. Added to that was a soft whistle caused by a slight breeze blowing through the flash suppressors of our shouldered M14's. A beautiful sunset was cast upon Paris Island. I found myself feeling this overwhelming connection, an affinity, with every soldier or warrior past, present and future. The memory of that feeling will return to me from time to time and always on days such as today.

bkisel, That is true poetry..............Happy Veterans Day to all. It's not just for Veterans. It's for all the family members that sacrificed, just like the soldiers.

Kicked around in the Navy for 4 years in the late 60's early 70's. To all active folks now, God speed getting you home safely. Arne.

I was in the US Navy from 1981 to 1987 as a Nuke ET.
My father was a Marine in Vietnam,
his father was an officer in the Army in WWII (European Campaign),
his father was an Army officer during WWI (Europe),
his father was in the Indiana Infantry during the Civil War,
his father faught in the Atlantic Theater in the War of 1812,
and his father was a Colonel in the Revolutionary War.

And they all survived their stint in the military!

"Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club" '67-'69 then Coastal Squadron-3 Patrol Gunboats. An experience I would gladly do again... OH BTW,, for all of you Ford fans, note that there no Chevys or Dodges prowling the 7 Seas!!! LOL GO NAVY

I was in the US Navy from 1981 to 1987 as a Nuke ET.
My father was a Marine in Vietnam,
his father was an officer in the Army in WWII (European Campaign),
his father was an Army officer during WWI (Europe),
his father was in the Indiana Infantry during the Civil War,
his father faught in the Atlantic Theater in the War of 1812,
and his father was a Colonel in the Revolutionary War.

And they all survived their stint in the military!

WOW.....that is some commitment.. Thanks to your entire family history.

I served as a hospital corpsman in the U. S. Navy during the VietNam War era. When the VietNam War traveling Memorial Wall came to town, I read names of those who gave their lives for their country in that war. The names I read were those who died during the very years I served. It was very moving and made me aware how very fortunate we all are who survived our military experience. Many did not.

Thanks to all of my fellow veterans who served their country. I like the phrase "ALL GAVE SOME; SOME GAVE ALL"

NS

US Coast Guard 1979-1983

Thanks to all our vets, and God bless you. I served 4 years in the Coast Guard on a buoy tender in Mobil Alabama. I then came home to beautiful Western NC. I must have something wrong with me though because after two years I felt the need for more of the military life. I then joined the NC National Guard. The mechanized infantry. I must say there is nothing like having tear gas thrown on you at 5am right before breakfast. I must say though I would not be the same person without my military experience.

Thanks to all our vets, and God bless you. I served 4 years in the Coast Guard on a buoy tender in Mobil Alabama. I then came home to beautiful Western NC. I must have something wrong with me though because after two years I felt the need for more of the military life. I then joined the NC National Guard. The mechanized infantry. I must say there is nothing like having tear gas thrown on you at 5am right before breakfast. I must say though I would not be the same person without my military experience.

I hear ya there, would I go through basic's again... NO way, but I wouldn't give up what it has made me and the lives that passed through mine!

Thank you all for your service

Back