very very odd thing just happened

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
Not really that odd but I wanted to get your attention. :)
I just racked my MMR Rosso D' Avola from primary. I had tweaked with 4 ounces of American untoasted dust in primary. I don't understand why EVERY red kit doesn't come with some. Anyway I stirred in primary just about every day and thought I reached down to to bottom of the bucket well enough. I even stirred well before and during racking. Well much to my surprise and disappointment the oak dust had formed a rather solid pancake on the bottom of the primary bucket. It was perfectly centered, about eight inches across and a quarter inch thick. It was quite solid and had to be scraped out when cleaning the bucket. The wine tastes fine but I guess I won't get any of the coconut aroma and taste that I love. Could I add another couple ounces in secondary. Or maybe I'll add an American light spiral later. I might clarify what I mean by secondary, I usually end up fermenting to dry in primary (.997 in this case) and then racking and spending the rest of the recomended days in a topped up carboy before clearing and stabilizing. My fermentation always go extremely fast, usually 5-7 days. But I think that contact with lees may be important so I wait the allotted days or more in what I call a "dry secondary". SG usually drops one of two more hundredths during the week or two in secondary. Back to the oak pancake, any comments?

I'm interested to see what others write, but I'd say you may have been lucky. There is the potential to over-oak due to the large surface area of the powder. The 4 ounces you added is approx. 50% over the recommended dosage in my experience.

In terms of your question, my guess is that the oak attached itself to the sediment.

Last edited:
I'm interested to see what others write, but I'd say you may have been lucky. In my experience, oak powder isn't usually added during fermentation because of the potential to over-oak due to the large surface area of the powder. The 4 ounces you added is approx. 50% over the recommended dosage.

In terms of your question, my guess is that the oak attached itself to the sediment.

It was untoasted oak dust, meaning its more to reduce the chances of herbaceous notes and helps build mouthfeel and stabilize color... Not-so-much on 'oak flavors' when using untoasted oak dust during fermentation.. Got discussed some in a thread i started to uncover some more information on untoasted oak itself

Hard to believe it didn't "breakdown" after a day or so of sitting in 6 gallons of must!
Yep, always has in the past. As you know this isn't my first "oak" rodeo. BTW, Houston Fast Stock Show and Rodeo is right around the corner, yahoo! Saw Elvis there a few years ago.

Tonyt
Hi. I generally add some oak tannin to my red must pre- fermentation for just the reasons you state. I believe it also helps reduce oxidation. The pancake sounds like you just missed it on stirring.

I would taste and then decide on your vanilla, etc through oak aging.

Good luck!

Tonyt
Hi. I generally add some oak tannin to my red must pre- fermentation for just the reasons you state. I believe it also helps reduce oxidation. The pancake sounds like you just missed it on stirring.

I would taste and then decide on your vanilla, etc through oak aging.

Good luck!

What tannin specifically. I did add some FT Rouge.

Was Bentonite added during the primary? My experience with oak powder was it stayed on top floating even when time to rack, mostly just the Bentonite on the bottom.

Latest posts

Back