Vapor barrier Spray

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyRico

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can obtain a spray on vapor barrier? I have seen it done but have yet to figure out where I can find the stuff. I will be using 6mm plastic around most of my walls but in some areas with wires going through the studs I figure using a spray would be more efficient.

I found a website called http://www.winecellarinnovations.com/ and they mention "Comfort Foam" but I cant seem to find that either. I did find a "Tiger foam" but at a minimum of over $300 I just dont have the Tiger blood to pay that much for one room, 4 walls. Id rather wrap what I can, then use a can of regular spray foam for the areas with wires.

I'm in a similar boat. I looked into using spray foam insulation b/c it seemed nice to kill two birds (VB and insulation) with one stone... but I've never used it before and it does seem a bit pricey so I'll probably just stick w/ the 6mm poly. It seems like if you're going to spring for the foam and get all set up to apply it, you might as well just do foam on the entire thing.

Let me know what you end up doing and how it goes. Godspeed brother!

I'm in a similar boat. I looked into using spray foam insulation b/c it seemed nice to kill two birds (VB and insulation) with one stone... but I've never used it before and it does seem a bit pricey so I'll probably just stick w/ the 6mm poly. It seems like if you're going to spring for the foam and get all set up to apply it, you might as well just do foam on the entire thing.

Let me know what you end up doing and how it goes. Godspeed brother!

Yeah.. big big money!$$$ 6mm poly it is..

My contractor buddy who's helping me was able to get a 200 sq foot kit wholesale from his usual distributor. It's still damned expensive, but I'd only save about $150 if I went with the 6mm poly/insulation combo instead of the spray foam. Plus, since my cellar is under the stairs and has a ton of irregular shapes and angles, it will be immensely easier to just spray rather than measure, cut, and secure insulation all day.

Great name by the way. I appreciate the reference!

For the smaller holes, you can use great stuff-foam insulation. Comes in a small can, buy at hardware or big box stores. Make sure you know where all the holes are as if you quit using the stuff, what is left sets up and is no good. If you have quite a bit to foam, they sell a gun that uses bigger cans. The gun costs less than $50 and the cans are 10 to 12bucks, but the contents are equal to 10- 12 of the small cans. Also they can be left attached to the gun for quite some time before it sets up. Overnite is no problem, and I have left mine in the truck for weeks and it still works. I do clean everything on the outside with acetone, tho. Good luck with it, Arne.

Back