Vadai barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivebk

Reaction score
Look what was on my doorstep when I got home this afternoon

vadai barrel3 (Small).jpg

vadai barrel (Small).jpg

BOB

Wait that was mine, UPS man delievered it to the wrong address...

Nicely done Bob!

Don't use the oak stopper! It will stick solid like a rock and you will need a hammer to break it free.

Get one of the solid silicon stoppers available from Morewine or Vadai.

Mike, won't he need to buy two? One solid and one for an air lock. If you do an mlf in the barrel it'll blow a solid bung off if it's properly topped off.

I ordered a silicone stopper from Sandor, but his shipping guys didn't get it in the box. I called and it's on it's way. If I get grapes off my vines this summer I'll get a vented bung for that. Still too soon to tell if the vines will do anything this year.

BOB

Be sure and follow Sandro's breaking in instructions.

I have one of those dry airlocks for my barrels but have never used it. I have never done an MLF or MILF in any of my barrels and don't plan on it. It may happen but not on purpose. I only add wine to the barrels after they have been degassed (if a kit) and bulk aged for a bit or been through MLF if fresh grapes. By the time I add them they are pretty quiet and not active.

Forgot to mention if your going to do a barrel ferment of say a Chardonnay to break it in just a bit before you put a red in then yes, you will need to cluge an airlock together of sorts or pick up one of the dry airlocks.

I have the silicone, dry air locks for my barrels, as well as the solid and drilled silicone bungs. The dry air locks work great and make a cool puffing sound when the wine is fermenting in the barrel.

Enjoy that new barrel. Make sure all leaks have stopped before you fill it with wine.

Latest posts

Back