Using potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfate.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommcd

Junior
Reaction score
Hi guys
Need some advice I've done some research but I swear they try to confuse you as much as possible on Google.

I have Camden tablets and potassium sorbate and was wondering at what point should I add and how. Crush Camden tablet and add to new demiJohn then rack to the new demiJohn then straight away add potassium sorbate (powder form) or wait a few hours. Should this be done then use kwik clear finings or use kwik clear to the first demiJohn then rack to new one with the sulphates.
Or have I got it all wrong and I've missed a option?

@Tommcd You need to crush tablets before using, K-meta is also available in powdered form if you like. Once powdered, you can add it and/or KSorbate to your target carboy and rack onto it to help mix, you can add it in and stir it before or after you rack (unless you have sediment you don’t want to disturb). You can pull out a cup of wine, mix it into the wine, and add it back before or after racking, it’s ok to do them together. If your wine is dry and you don’t intend to sweeten it, there’s no need for sorbate, most of us skip it in that situation, as it has a candy-like taste. Get all your chems dissolved and well mixed before fining.

@Tommcd You need to crush tablets before using, K-meta is also available in powdered form if you like. Once powdered, you can add it and/or KSorbate to your target carboy and rack onto it to help mix, you can add it in and stir it before or after you rack (unless you have sediment you don’t want to disturb). You can pull out a cup of wine, mix it into the wine, and add it back before or after racking, it’s ok to do them together. If your wine is dry and you don’t intend to sweeten it, there’s no need for sorbate, most of us skip it in that situation, as it has a candy-like taste. Get all your chems dissolved and well mixed before fining.
You are my hero!
Why don't they make information easier like this online.
I will crush up the tablet and add sorbate in to empty demiJohn rack into the new demiJohn, wait for a day or two before adding the finnings
Thank you for your help

Only add sorbate when it is finished fermenting. When you rack for the first time, it might not be done, check the SG, and look for less than 1.000 to .990. You add the Campden at each 3 month racking.

I have to admit to being a bit loose with sulphiting and have a question for the group. Usually when racking, I will sanitize the secondary with kmeta by sloshing some around and draining the carboy. I don’t rinse. Does the residual provide me enough protection for the racking? I usually measure at other times.

I will guess no. It's funny you mention that, I'm just going to bottle a strawberry/blueberry wine, and pretty much thought the same thing about my bottles. I use flip-top bottles, and keep them closed with a few (5-7) sprays of Kmeta sanitizing solution while in storage. I was thinking to pour out the excess liquid, then just bottle, but I wasn't sure if there would be enough sulfites in there to do the job.

(1/2 t powder to 64 oz.)

Last edited:
* dry lab ie a thought experiment
my sanitizer has 21.5gm meta mixed in 3 pints of tap water and citric,
if I slosh and empty and leave 10 ml of this in a carboy this translates to 0.15 gram K meta
If I wish to treat a 5 gallon/ 19 liter at 25 ppm it will take 0.5 gram K meta,

That leaves you short at best, and if you are “loose“ and keep the sanitizer till gone, it leaves you real short.
from experience before owning a vinmetrica my quality improved when I assumed no SO2 and simply added 25 ppm every transfer
I have to admit to being a bit loose with sulphiting and have a question for the group. Usually when racking, I will sanitize the secondary with kmeta by sloshing some around and draining the carboy. I don’t rinse. Does the residual provide me enough protection for the racking? I usually measure at other times.

* dry lab ie a thought experiment
my sanitizer has 21.5gm meta mixed in 3 pints of tap water and citric,
if I slosh and empty and leave 10 ml of this in a carboy this translates to 0.15 gram K meta
If I wish to treat a 5 gallon/ 19 liter at 25 ppm it will take 0.5 gram K meta,

That leaves you short at best, and if you are “loose“ and keep the sanitizer till gone, it leaves you real short.
from experience before owning a vinmetrica my quality improved when I assumed no SO2 and simply added 25 ppm every transfer
Thanks, Rice_Guy. good example if the assumptions are even in the ballpark! I think I will get a bit less “loose” with my sulphiting, especially since my sanitizer jug is over a year old. Still smells sharp though.

Latest posts

Back