Using Papaya peel for pectic enzyme

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhetoric

Junior
Reaction score
I've read that the peel of 1/2 a papaya can be used as a substitute for a tsp. of pectic enzyme. My question is how to prepare it. Should it be doused with boiling water (the papaya is from a fruit store0? (Heat may destroy the pectic enzyme?) Sprayed with alcohol disinfectant? Large peelings or small? Put the peel in a blender first? Would appreciate advice from anyone who has used papaya peel, the specifics on how it was prepared. My fermentation of Kiwi Strawberry started a few days ago and I'm adding it now (just got hold of the papaya).

The kind of Papaya I got was a green papaya, more like a veg than a fruit. I peeled the whole thing with a ceramic potato peeler, sans the seeds, added the peelings to the must, and froze some for later use. The guy who grows them says the whole fruit is rich in peptic enzyme. He also said the yellow sweet kind didn't have peptic enzyme.

I peeled the green papayas, 2, and added about 1/3 each to three vats I'm fermenting in. 12 hours later, there seem to already be results. The must seems less pulpy, and fermentation continues apace. I was also able to freeze the remainder. I used everything except the seeds.

Back