Used bottles -- this is ridiculous

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just getting started making wine. I will have to find the Lincoln County place---and catch them before they're smashed! good to touch base with a neighbor!

I can't believe your states is so repressive.. seems very odd to me... the whole break the bottles thing is dumb. I once visited a place that had to sell you liqour drinks in the air plane bottles... they would have the mixer made and you physically as a patron had to mix your own drink... what a bunch of hogwash.
Anyways...
If you guys are avid wine makers and drinkers why are bottles a problem.. just have your friends save their bottles for you that they drink throughout the year and give them to you.. likewise any wine bottles you hand out from your brew just ask they return them.. most people would gladly give you 10 or 12 old bottles for one filled up.

Smashing your bottles is just plain wrong... what do the people making syrup or hot sauce use?
I can think of a ton of things to do with old bottles.. the same politicians probably spend great amount of time and money to manage our trash and they are requiring you to create more and not be resourceful...

The reason the ABC requires the bottles be smashed is it is so very easy for bars to sell "Gray Goose Vodka" that is really rotgut that has been poured into an empty Gray Goose bottle.

I have had friends save their cork bottles for me. They simply cannot save as fast as I have been making wine. When a typical batch is 70 to 125 bottles, I need a better source than simple generosity.

Missy, check the recycling center or dump at Pulaski. There has to be a place there where you may be able to get some bottles.

Last edited:
It seems like so many people on this forum have no problems scoring bottles from wineries or restaurants. Hasn't been my experience! The local wineries say they don't want their labels ending up on homemade wine and the restaurants promise bottles but never come through. Thank goodness for heavy drinking neighbors and friends!

Latest posts

Back