Used a blender... oh no!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next time buy your fruit a couple of days early. Throw it in the freezer, when close to ready to go put the berries in your fermenting bag to thaw. Helps break the fruit down and makes it easier for the yeasts to extract the fruit flavor. Arne.

So...

I replaced the blended blackberries with new fresh ones. Fermentation was executed without abnormalities.
I have the Elderberry/Blackberry in a carboy now. Although I am a little upset with myself because I had to top off about 3 quarts, I used water, and I am afraid that may dilute it too much. But...on first racking (from the primary) it tasted just fine.

I used the "bad" blended blackberries to make a gallon, just to see how it would turn out. Holy cow! It has a bitter undertone, like an orange rind. I am so glad I got those things out. Thanks to all for your advice!

I will probably wind up posting how the two wines turn out at next racking.

Good Deal SubVet!
Please do post the outcome, I would love to hear how it finishes.

Don't pitch that gal. batch. Finish it out, put it in bottles and let it sit for a year or two. Let us know how it tastes then. Arne.

Finished that gallon of bad-berry…not to bad right now.

I'll wait till next year to try it again.

Back