Types of marbles (metalic?)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banannabiker

Reaction score
I have read about a number of people using marbles to add filler to a partially full carboy to minimize the air. Tonight I was working on a batch, and sure enough-needed about 1 1/2 quarts more to top off the carboy. I had seen marbles in the house-so went and got them. I put them into a pan, added water and bleach, and brought them to a boil. I let them cool, then flushed with clean water, then treated with sterilization mixture, then flushed again with water several times. I was feeling pretty good when the marbles made up the difference, until it dawned on me that a number of the "marbles" are actually game pieces that have a flatish side, and have a distinctly 'metalic' appearance-even though it is obvious they are still glass. When I took the pan back into the kitchen (what I had heated and treated the marbles in), i noticed small rusty looking spots scattered over the bottom and sides of the pan. I guess my question is this...has anyone used this type of marble before...and does anyone know if I goofed and messed up this batch of orange/mango wine? I had a little under 6 gallons before I decanted, so I still have 5 gallons without marbles of any type, I just had to add to the final gallon to get rid of the air space. I definately will NOT mix the 'marble' gallon with the others-so if the one part is bad
107.gif
, at least I still have 5 good gallons.
Thanks for your thoughts and advice...in advance.

i just use vodka to top off after a few glasses everybody seems to be happy with what i made, 1 1/2 qts might be alot though still better then rusty marbles

I am having trouble picturing marbles that look like glass but can leave rust spots. Are they glass or metal or partially both? I have used glass marbles for years without incident (occasionally concerned about lead content in the glass) but have never noticed any rust spots or other residue after cleaning them. So, I don't know what effect it may have - if the marbles continue to rust, it wil probably add some metallic flavor to that gallon, but it's possible the 'rust' will help clear the wine and precipitate out without leaving a bad flavor behind. I guess you will just have to wait and see.

P.S. I wouldn't add vodka to any wine you are making, unless you are fortifying it. An orange/amngo wine with vodka added would be...a screwdriver, right?

Some of those glass spheres used for decorating clear jars DO have a metallic coating on them. We never use those. If you go to the Dollar store, you can find one pound bags of glass spheres for $1.00 a bag. Choose the ones that are all glass. We have a lot of these and frequently use them. All you have to do is soak them in some meta solution before adding them.

I really don't care for bleach on winemaking equipment. If they had been laying around the house and you felt the need to clean them, it would be better to just use some dishwashing soap, rinse and them, then throw them into the meta bath.

I only use clear glass marbles. I run them thru the dishwasher between batches and store them in sanitizing solution.

I only use clear glass marbles. I run them thru the dishwasher between batches and store them in sanitizing solution.
Aren't glass marbles made in China? Does Lead and other metals worry any of you that use them? You can't blame the Chinese I am sure they don't expect you to suck on marbles. Isn't easier to break down in smaller containers and be safe. A little rust in the wine? Read about Ferric Casse and other metallic casse and the problems associated with it in wine and its effect on clarity.
Malvina

That's what I do........when I siphon a few bottles out of a carboy I just rack to smaller containers.....i.e. 5 gallon, 3 gallon or individual one gallon jugs until it's gone. Besides; I lost my marbles years ago.....sorry, couldn't resist.

Would fish tank glass beads be any safer then dollar store stuff, I would figure the fish ones would have to be pretty stable to avoid messing with the tank chemistry. I know that borosilicate beads are available from companies like RooR called diffusion beads but they are pricey.

***caution***** searching for diffusion beads will take you to smoke and drug related site*****caution*****some work places monitor what and where you do when on the company system*****caution******

I have emailed a company thats uses US made lead free glass to make marbles, I explained the situation and wait to see what they say.

I checked Walmart and Petsmart today for fish tank glass beads and they all have an iridescent coating on them, that multi colored look is just a coating applied to the outside of the glass.

TJ, if you get a positive response be sure to post it and a website.

Cool, they are quick on email. Sizes 9/16 5/8 and 3/4 available in 25 or 50 pound boxes. I would plan to insert the marble by letting them fall down a tube like a wine thief with the end missing, that way it will ride down the column of wine like a piston and hopefully have a nice soft landing. I plan to order a 25# box of the 9/16 unless its too expensive but I'm guessing they are cheapish.

Um, so is the glass marbles for fish tanks ok, bc that's what I been using. Please tell me theyre ok.

I have to agree with Malvina, you are better off separating the batch into different smaller containers. I did some math a few years ago and figured out it takes around 1800 average sized marbles to make up a gallon.

joea132 said:
I have to agree with Malvina, you are better off separating the batch into different smaller containers. I did some math a few years ago and figured out it takes around 1800 average sized marbles to make up a gallon.

Heck ya if you need a gallon just go to a smaller carboy but what if wine is just starting up the shoulders. I have still not tried it so don't take anything I say about as experience.

I did some math a few years ago and figured out it takes around 1800 average sized marbles to make up a gallon.

Sombody has too much time on their hands :)

I too agree with Malvina, just step down to smaller jugs. Playing with marbles is just childs play.

Update

Well, I racked my Mango wine last evening-and just decided to dump the jug with the marbles. I couldn't see or smell any difference in the wine, but no sense taking a chance on having a batch of toxic wine. :rdo
We live and we learn. I still have 5 gallons coming along nicely, and what i lost was probably 2 1/2-3 quarts...no biggie.

Back