Two Questions-Newie Miscalculation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadwarriorsvt

Reaction score
Part 1:
OK, for my fruit wine (lychee if you know what that is), I decided to split the primary in to 2 separate primaries due to the large amount of fruit I used. After adding a bit over 5 lbs. per gallon for each primary, I added just a hair over 2 1/2 gallons of water to each primary. I guess alot of juice got extracted from the fruit because when I combined the two into my 5 gallon carboy, I ended up with a little over 7 gallons! I won't be light on fruit/flavor but are there other areas that I should be concerned with like acid level, etc.?

Part 2:

After splitting the must in to 2 primaries, I added 2 1/2 camden tabs to each primary. I added pectin 12 hours later, then the yeast about 12 hours after that. I noticed that one primary was already "sizzling" before I added the yeast. That same primary got a 1.002 on the hydrometer vs. the other's 1.022. Any concerns here?

Thanks for any guidance.

Here is the "basic" recipe I'm using. I'm tweaking this recipe somewhat using procedures found in most fruit wine recipes on this site.

1 gallon water
5 lbs fresh lychees
2 1/2 lbs fine sugar
1/4 oz citric acid
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp tannin
Chablis wine yeast
1.Begin heating the water. Peel the lychees and remove the stone. Chop the remaining fruit and add it to the sugar in the primary container. Pour in enough boiling water to make one gallon of liquid and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.

2.Add the remaining ingredients. Note the requirement for additional tannin for lychee wine because this fruit is not acidic enough by itself. Cover the primary container with a cloth.

3.Allow the mixture to stand undisturbed until it is fermenting vigorously. Stir it each day for five days.

4.Strain the liquid through a nylon sieve into the secondary container and fit an airlock. The pulp now may be discarded. Rack every 30 days until the wine clears and does not drop any sediment. This step is especially important for lychee wine.

5 .Stabilize the wine and sweeten to taste if needed. Wait 10 days to ensure that fermentation has stopped before racking into bottles.

Back