Two great Olympic Winter sports

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCook

Reaction score
Sure, the luge, skeleton, and bobsled races are fast. Sure, there are loud outfits and crazy crashes/stunts in downhill skiing. But none of those sports rank for me as my favorite Olympic events.

Today is a 'curling' day for the Olympians competing up in Vancouver, British Columbia. I believe that curling is an unsung sport that takes a massive amount of strength, coordination, and control. What seems to be something very slow and 'easy' to the lay person is actually a42-pound granite block being gracefully set onto the ice at a certain angle and speed while the wielder performs a forward lunge in painfully slow form and balancing while sliding across the ice during this process. Perhaps it's just a throwback to my appreciation for strongman style activities (gotta love the Scotts), but curling rocks. It's like a Liliputian sneaking onto a giant shuffleboard game and deciding to play. Curling is an old sport and its origins date back to the 1500s.

Another of my favorite winter Olympic events is the biathlon. For most people, the idea of cross-country skiing and then firing a rifle at a series of targets is pretty boring. However, a little appreciation of the art of sniping and body control takes this to a whole new level. If you haven't fired a rifle at a target that required aiming (the smallest and final targets to hit in the biathlon are just over an inch big -half-dollar sized), then take appreciation in the fact that people have been disqualified for blood doping in target shooting competitions in past Olympics. Why use performance enhancing biological/drug techniques in something as simple as the 25m target pistol competition, something that most people don't even know is a summer Olympic sport? Because the beat of a person's heart rate causes a slight pulse in the body and controlling that pulse by lowering the heart rate helps increase accuracy. Ask the South Korean that tested positive and was disqualified in the Beijing Olympics, by the way.

In the biathlon, competitors need to cross-country ski with a rifle strapped to their back to a particular target range. If you've ever gone cross-country skiing, you'll know that this raises the heart rate just like any other challenging cardio activity. Then, being careful not to disrupt the sighting mechanisms on the rifle, five shots will need to be fired at a target 50m away with penalties for any missed shots. The targets get smaller each time around. Depending on the type of biathlon, the penalty could be an extra cross-country skiing lap or time penalties. Time penalties? Yes - the entire event is timed. So competitors need to match racing speed and endurance with the focus and body control of target shooting. And it's one of the oldest sports dating back to 2,000 B.C. when hunters needed tochaseprey and then shoot accurately.

- Jim

(Like)
smiley1.gif

Curling ......
smiley12.gif

Biathlon ......
smiley20.gif

I did a couple of Summer Biathlons a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away now) when the US Summer Biathlon team came to town to do some high altitude training. Talk about a fun sport! 1 mile lap followed by standing targets, 1 mile lap followed by prone target, 1 mile lap to finish line. Trying to get your heart rate down from 170 after running a mile and hit a small target is like next to impossible for any mere mortal!

The biathlon is one of our favorites. My boys all love to shoot and they appreciate the challenge the biathlon presents.
We don't get curling, maybe a southern thing since we've never lived outside Florida
smiley36.gif
We have really been enjoying the Winter Games and I got hubby to watch Snowboard Cross (I think that's the name) last night. He even stopped working on the bar to enjoy the races.
The Games go nicely with a glass of port!

Curling really is an interesting sport.
In our engineering firm, about a year ago we ran out of something to do (on an engineering level), so we pooled our resources and wrote a curling game for a handheld computer. Sold only a few copies, but it was interesting to learn the curling rules and procedures. Made us appreciate the game.

The control necessary to smoothly lower this big block of granite while moving and then to control the speed and angle of approach is pretty darned impressive. Feeling like curling is overrated? Head to a sporting goods store and pick up a 45 pound dumbbell in one hand and do a very slow lunge forward and set it onto the ground without making a clunking sound or breaking a tile. Now, imagine doing it on ice while sliding forward.
- Jim

Interesting post Jim. Speaking of loud outfits, did you see the pants on the Norwegian men's curling team?

Steve

Steve,
They were freaking awesome. I love it when people add a little visual spice into the display of it all. It's just like the idea behind hockey goalie masks - they used to be just white and plain.

I also saw that the second ever pregnant Olympian is competing, and it's in curling and for Canada. Apparently their team is really solid. I think that's great.

- Jim

Did you see Lester Holts (Holt?) of The Today Show try to lunge the rock last week in Vancouver? He was shaking all over, like he was trying to lift 200 pounds over his head.

Richard,

I did see an article about that as well. It's nice to have someone that's a professional athlete recognize the performance ability required of a curler. In addition, he noted that he really enjoyed it as well. It goes to show you that training for any one item does not provide training for another task. As a personal trainer, this is one of the foundational rules of body development that must be obeyed - the principle of specificity.

- Jim

JimCook said:
I also saw that the second ever pregnant Olympian is competing, and it's in curling and for Canada. Apparently their team is really solid. I think that's great.
She's actually the fifth or spare player. But in the Olympics, most teams try to get their fifth into at least one game. I think they said 5 1/2 months.

Steve

Living only 30 plus miles from Whiteface Mountain and a bit further to Lake Placid, I have lived my whole life around Olympic athletes, be it winter or even summer. There are many training centers and being the host of two Olympics there is a lot of activity. The traffic is kept fairly minimal to lessen environmental impact, but the visitors and trainers help the local economy. When the Olympics were in Montreal, we even had the rowing teams practicing in the still waters of the Saranac river a couple miles from home. Not a lot of curling locally, but anything skiing, skateboarding or Bobsled and Luge are always popular since they have one of only a few centers in the US. Heck the Miracle on Ice took place in Lake Placid in 1980. Teams were even practicing on our rinks at the college in town here (and the Zamboni's even worked). Overall, I think the Canadians are doing a great job with the Olympics - heck in 1980 we even had a snow drought like they are and snow needed to be trucjked in.

I love curling and grew up in Alberta, where almost everyone curls. I've worked Briars and have seen Martin play up close and the man is VERY hard to beat! Just a great game by both the Canadians and the Norwegians as well as the Swiss on the Womens team. Did you see that rock thrown in the 10th end that took out 2 guards and a point? Amazing rock by the Canadian Women's team.

Back