tubing for vacuum pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
Do I need special vacuum tubing for vacuum transfer/degassing or just food grade correct size?

My dad had to swing by his med supply store, and asked his regular sales rep if he had a old vacuum pump, and told him what it was for, and the guy told him to come back tomorrow and he could have one. For a couple bottles of wine the guy cleaned sanitized and gave me a pump. Now I just need to get some tubing.

AD

If you are talking about a racking hoes then food grade tubing from your local beer and wine supply store. If its a hose that runs from your canister to your pump then any old hose will work. If its the hose from your pump to the carboy then its up to you if you want to keep the overflow or not and you will end up with wine in the over flow if you start bottling with it in tandem with a auto filler, they all shut off when bottling and send the excess to an overflow. Nice score on the freeish wine pump. See your hobby is paying for itself already!

Thanks Wade,

It came with a new hose from the pump to the canister, and a new "medical" vacuum hose in a baggie about 3' long, not really long enough to get to the top of a carboy conveniently but I guess it will work from carboy to carboy for racking. I was not with dad when he got it, but i'm not about to complain either

I agree - i the tubing is going to come in contact with your wine - i would use food grade tubing.

Thanks Guys

I picked some up at the local restaurant supply wholesale house for .20/foot

Most hardware stores sell the tubing for ice makers and such they r usually on spools and cut to length

Back